Pro Football weekly

Comment | Print |

Panthers' Neblett: mistake to take supplement

Related Stories

Panthers release CB Gamble

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 12:49 p.m.

Carolina Panthers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 05, 2013 @ 11:27 a.m.

Panthers cut DT Edwards

Posted March 01, 2013 @ 1:46 p.m.

Gettleman: Panthers could keep Williams, Stewart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 1:08 p.m.

Panthers to begin renovation after 2013 season

Posted Feb. 12, 2013 @ 5:33 p.m.

Panthers add DT Cole

Posted Feb. 08, 2013 @ 12:34 p.m.

Ranking the NFL divisions for 2013

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Panthers promote Shula to offensive coordinator

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 4:38 p.m.

Panthers must tackle big defensive need inside

Posted Jan. 17, 2013 @ 6:39 p.m.

Kuechly wins PFW/PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:51 a.m.
Posted July 24, 2012 @ 2:33 p.m. ET

By STEVE REED, AP Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Panthers DT Andre Neblett hopes a positive test for performance-enhancing drugs doesn't cost him a spot on the team's 53-man roster this season.

The NFL suspended Neblett four games without pay last week.

Neblett said Tuesday he unsuccessfully attempted to appeal the suspension. He said he made a mistake when he took an over-the-counter dietary supplement that resulted in a positive test.

"It's something I know I shouldn't have taken," Neblett said after minicamp practice in Charlotte. "I should have checked with my trainer first.s

The 310-pound Neblett said he took the supplement to keep his weight down.

Neblett, entering his third season with the Panthers, played in 12 games last year with four starts. He finished with 23 tackles and 2½ sacks. He initially made the roster in 2011 as an undrafted rookie out of Temple.

"This is definitely going to make it harder" to make the roster, Neblett said. "I'm not going to be here for four games, so that gives somebody else a chance to step up and take that spot, just as I did. So it is going to be some work getting back."

Neblett will be allowed to participate in training camp, which begins Saturday in Spartanburg, S.C., and can play in the preseason games. But he won't be allowed to practice with the team for the first four weeks of the regular season. If the Panthers decide to keep him, he won't take up a roster spot the first month of the season, as he can be placed on the reserve-suspended list.

Coach Ron Rivera said the Panthers would treat Neblett "no differently" than anyone else on the roster.

"We had a situation like that in San Diego with a player going through camp and we didn't treat him any differently, either," Rivera said. "What it did was give us a chance to have somebody else up (on the 53-man roster) for a while. Then we had to make a decision afterward."

Rivera said Neblett would be evaluated by his play in training camp and the preseason.

"What Andre did for us last season shows he's a good football player," Rivera said.

Neblett feels like he let his teammates down.

"I'm costing a team that can potentially make it to the playoffs," he said. "My family is disappointed and I'm extremely disappointed."

 

©2012 by STATS LLC and Associated Press.
Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

Comments ()


ABOUT TRUST ONLINE