The Chargers have told DT Luis Castillo that he will be released prior to March 13.
Bill Johnston, the team's director of public relations, tweeted that a return to the team "is possible," but added that the team told Castillo that he will not return at his current salary.
The San Diego Union-Tribune reported earlier in the week that the team was planning on releasing Castillo, who is owed a $1 million roster bonus in March and has a base salary of $3.9 million. Castillo signed a seven-year deal in 2008.
Castillo suffered a broken leg in Week One of the 2011 season and was later placed on injured reserve.
Having just completed his seventh year out of Northwestern, Castillo started all 16 games in 2010 and recorded 26 tackles and 2½ sacks.