The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
• "I know Matt Leinart well. This is it for him. He can prove himself. The Texans' offensive scheme is run-predicated. All Leinart has to do is manage it. That is all he has to do. They have the division in hand. It's just a matter of running the ball, getting him outside the pocket and making high-percentage throws. Getting the big target (WR Andre Johnson) back would help anyone. Their defense has been as good as any in the league."
• "Has Mark Sanchez developed or not? Are the Jets running the right scheme for Sanchez or not? They went to two (AFC) championship games — so that makes Brian Schottenheimer a genius? Why do you hire him, other than his dad's name? Didn't we see this already with Josh McDaniels?"
• "There are people out there that think God is winning these games (for Tim Tebow) and willing him to victory — the right-wing coalition and the power of prayer. Everyone is going to be kneeling and Tebowing before it is all over. Someone is going to think of a way to make money off this one. They'll create the Tebow doll, where he is kneeling down and you push a button and he stands up and screams 'Amen.' "
• "The Bills talked themselves into paying millions of dollars to Ryan Fitzpatrick, but they still don't have a quarterback. I have seen it happen so many times. They won a few games and jumped the gun."
• "If you look at what happened to the Lions against the Bears, the crazy thing about it is — the Lions moved the ball. They had a good plan. They just turned it over too much. And the wind was a major factor. I was wondering how the Bears could be so good — the defense did some good things, but watch the ball hang on the interception returns. Even the kick to (Devin) Hester that was returned, the wind took that ball right into his hands."
• "Lovie (Smith) has not been a good coach for the Chicago Bears; he has been a great coach — just the way he handles the team. He has the ability to get players to play hard for him. They trust him. It's hard to put a finger on exactly why, but they do."
• "The problem with the Eagles' offense — it has been a turnover machine. They are trying to make (Michael) Vick into Steve Young. Having him drop back and throw from the pocket is not a winning formula. They have to run the football. That's what they need to do."
• "The Ravens can win a Super Bowl. You can say they've been too inconsistent, but take the Seattle loss — they played a very physical game against Pittsburgh, had to fly home at 4 a.m. Monday. They lost two days of prep. And then they have a 5½-hour flight across the country to Seattle. I don't care who you are — that's a tough game. … Then the defense was on the field for 35 minutes — you're going to run Ray Rice five times? Your guards can play. (OTs) Michael Oher and Bryant McKinnie are coming around. Run the ball!"
• "Andy Reid has such a mess on his hands. People are talking about him being fired? I want to know — is he going to walk away? I know Juan Castillo was not his first choice as defensive coordinator. I look at the players they have signed. I don't know if Andy has enough support right now. It looks to me like he is doing everything. I know this — he is one of the best football coaches in the NFL."
• "I can't think of one player who rushes the passer on San Diego's defense that scares me. Where did all the talent go? I'm not sure what they were doing paying (Eric) Weddle all that money, but when you see how little they are working with defensively, it makes more sense. They have no players."