New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis says the club has cut veteran Thomas and third-year cornerback Johnny Patrick.|||||||
Loomis says releasing Thomas on Tuesday was an "extremely difficult decision," given seven-year veteran's leadership and versatility, which allowed him to fill in at several spots, including fullback. The 6-foot-3, 248-pound Thomas joined the Saints in a 2009 trade with New England. He missed much of 2011 because of two concussions, but returned in 2012 and played in 15 games, catching 11 passes for 86 yards and four touchdowns.
Thomas has landed on injured reserve with a concussion.|||||||
Thomas had five catches for 16 yards so he can easily be replaced.
A person familiar with the situation says the New Orleans Saints have agreed to contract terms with Thomas.|||||||
Thomas has been a regular contributor for the Saints, with 30 or more receptions in each of the past two seasons. He also has played fullback when needed.
Thomas decided Tuesday to sign a tender offer from the Saints.|||||||
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis confirmed that Thomas signed his tender offer. The Saints had offered Thomas about $1.18 million. Jordan Woy, an agent for Thomas, said Thomas intended to sign his tender this week. The 26-year-old former Texas Longhorn caught 35 passes for 356 yards and a touchdown during the regular season and had four receptions for 41 yards in the playoffs. He started eight games, also filling in as a fullback when needed.
The New Orleans Saints have decided not to play Thomas and safety Darren Sharper in their regular-season finale at Carolina. Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said on Saturday that neither player traveled with the team to Charlotte for Sunday's game.|||||||
Sharper has a minor soreness in his left knee. He had been listed as questionable for Sunday's game as of Friday, but was downgraded along with Thomas, who had been listed as doubtful with a calf injury.