About the Author
Recent posts by Eric Edholm
I am set to leave in a few hours for pastoral Anderson, Ind. (which I hear is nice this time of year) to attend the first official day of Colts camp tomorrow.
Anderson was the team's former training-camp location before moving to Terre Haute. The team made the switch back this year, the first time they have been back here since 1998. The only Colts player still on the team from that camp? Yep. Peyton Manning.
There are two practices, one at 8:30 p.m. EST and the second one at 3:30 p.m. EST, and Team PFW (fellow scribe Arthur Arkush and I) will leave no stone unturned.
Here are a few stories I'll be tracking tomorrow:
- The relative happiness of Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis, both of whom reported to camp on time it turns out. Both gentlemen have expressed their frustration over not having a new contract this offseason, so it will be interesting to see if they speak out about it tomorrow. The spies have told us that the Colts have put the clamps down a bit, media-wise, at the start of camp in terms of player access, but that might have been just for the first day.
- All things Manning. I am sure someone will ask a Super Bowl "hangover" question to his certain delight; others will cover the topic of their pleasant dilemma at receiver, where Anthony Gonzalez returns. I am curious to hear about his thoughts on the offensive line, where there are sure to be changes, and at backup quarterback, where a less-than-thrilling cast vies to wear a baseball cap and signal in phony playcalls this season.
- Bob Sanders is said to be ready to practice tomorrow. This is a story in and of itself. I always did enjoy watching him play, so this will be very intriguing.
- There also could be several moving parts on defense, and the Colts have a deep track record of unearthing some lesser-known talents and turning them into very functional players. I am sure I'll find an underdog to two to latch onto.
- Will rookie DE Jerry Hughes sign and report before 8:30? Signs point to no, but you never can be sure. Some of these first-round deals have been coming together in the wee hours of the night and morning.
Anything else I should be keeping my eyes on? I'll check back later in the comments section if there's anything you'd like me to observe and comment on.
We'll see you tomorrow in this space with some (hopefully) interesting chatter and football from Anderson.