Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm brings you hot news and the inside scoop about the NFL.

Osi is 'not sure what all the fuss' is about

Recent posts by Eric Edholm

Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler's Week Two picks

Posted Sept. 17, 2010 @ 3:20 p.m.

Five Fearless Predictions: Week One

Posted Sept. 10, 2010 @ 3:38 p.m.

Three Saints concerns for tonight's game

Posted Sept. 09, 2010 @ 2:05 p.m.

Three Vikings concerns for Thursday’s game

Posted Sept. 07, 2010 @ 2:51 p.m.

A note on Dan Hampton

Posted Sept. 06, 2010 @ 12:39 p.m.

First two games can spell glory or gloom in NFL

Posted Aug. 04, 2010 @ 5:48 p.m.

Kolb takes first step towards seizing opportunity

Posted July 27, 2010 @ 12:40 p.m.

Sorry, Giants fans, McClain is a Raider

Posted April 22, 2010 @ 8:34 p.m.

Forget two Andrews … will even one be in Philly?

Posted Feb. 17, 2010 @ 12:44 p.m.

Giants' Steve Smith tries to make a name for himself

Posted Aug. 06, 2009 @ 5:01 p.m.

Antonio Pierce speaks on Burress case

Posted Aug. 04, 2009 @ 1:15 p.m.

The Rams' long road ahead

Posted July 31, 2009 @ 11:35 p.m.

Losing Pierce would be big for Giants

Posted July 28, 2009 @ 4:37 p.m.
Posted May 18, 2010 @ 11:20 a.m.
Updated Oct. 06, 2010 @ 7:27 p.m.
By Eric Edholm

In Osi Umenyiora, much has been ado about nothing.

The Giants defensive end, who has been at odds with the team since last season's benching, writes on his blog that he's ready to go with OTAs.

Here's the text from the post:

OTAs start tomorrow and I'm ready to roll.

I've been in New York the last two weeks working with the team. I'm not sure what all the fuss has been about with me. There has been a lot of talk about me, about me getting traded. I didn't get traded, I'm with the team and have been with the team. I think people have been looking for me to do something to cause dissension, but that's not happening.

I'm focused on working and want to do all I can to help this team win games. Honestly, I think everyone on the team has been here working, I don't think anyone has been missing. The atmosphere has been great and I think it's needed. I'm looking forward to starting OTAs. We've all been off football for awhile so practice together as a team will be great.

For me, now that I'm getting a little older, I try to get into football earlier. I try to take a week or two off when the season ends and then start working out again. I don't like to let my body get out of shape. I've done it before and it's a whole lot easier to just stay in shape.

So there you have it. I guess.

What he's saying is that he is not going to stage a mutiny. He's not going to pull a Matt Roth (sorry, couldn't resist) and request a trade. He won't be doing his best T.O. impression, performing calisthenics in his driveway. You are going to get a player who says he is committed to performing.

Thing is, I am not sure he'll be happy when he sees what his role will be. He's not going to be a full-time player, not with the Giants' depth up front, and he might not start. How long will that fly with Umenyiora, who despite admitting he's "older" still believes he's a front-line player. The Giants' response might be that they did not see that, especially against the run, last season. Which, of course, was why he was benched, kicking off the feud in the first place.

The Giants' brass, Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese, have not parsed words regarding Umenyiora this offseason. New defensive coordinator has echoed the idea that the best players will play the most.

Will that be Osi? We'll see.

Comments (0)