Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm brings you hot news and the inside scoop about the NFL.

Antonio Pierce speaks on Burress case

Recent posts by Eric Edholm

Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler's Week Two picks

Posted Sept. 17, 2010 @ 3:20 p.m.

Five Fearless Predictions: Week One

Posted Sept. 10, 2010 @ 3:38 p.m.

Three Saints concerns for tonight's game

Posted Sept. 09, 2010 @ 2:05 p.m.

Three Vikings concerns for Thursday’s game

Posted Sept. 07, 2010 @ 2:51 p.m.

A note on Dan Hampton

Posted Sept. 06, 2010 @ 12:39 p.m.

First two games can spell glory or gloom in NFL

Posted Aug. 04, 2010 @ 5:48 p.m.

Sorry, Giants fans, McClain is a Raider

Posted April 22, 2010 @ 8:34 p.m.

Is David Carr in trouble with Jints?

Posted Aug. 24, 2009 @ 3:41 p.m.

Giants' Steve Smith tries to make a name for himself

Posted Aug. 06, 2009 @ 5:01 p.m.

The Rams' long road ahead

Posted July 31, 2009 @ 11:35 p.m.

Losing Pierce would be big for Giants

Posted July 28, 2009 @ 4:37 p.m.
Posted Aug. 04, 2009 @ 1:15 p.m.
Updated Oct. 06, 2010 @ 7:27 p.m.
By Eric Edholm

Giants LB Antonio Pierce received good news Monday: he will not be acquitting in the Plaxico Burress shooting case. We can't say the same, of course, for Burress himself.

Pierce, who had not spoken before this afternoon on the situation, ended his silence on the matter. Here's the statement he read aloud today:

I would like to make a statement. It’s been a long nine months since November 2008 when the incident took place. I’m glad I had the opportunity to speak to the grand jury and let them hear the facts from my lips, not from anybody else, but hear the facts from me. I thought I acted very reasonably, responsibly, and instinctively. I had a teammate in need and my concern that night was to get him help. There are a lot of people, obviously, that I want to and need to thank. First and foremost, I want to thank my family for dealing a lot and staying behind Antonio Pierce and knowing who he really is. Secondly, my friends. Thirdly, and not lastly, the New York Giants — the whole organization. They are one of the main reasons I came to New York, because of the organization, the front office, and the people around here. Obviously those statements have been made several times throughout this process. With that being said, I am not sorry for how I acted that night and how I responded. I am sorry for putting myself in a position in which I had to respond. I’ve learned a lot of lessons from this. I take them to heart, and I obviously take them seriously. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but ever since the New York Giants got to Albany the sun has been out and it’s been bright, and Antonio Pierce and the New York Giants are looking forward. I’m tired of seeing myself on the TV and my name in the news. It’s time to talk about the New York Giants and the 2009 season. Anything that happened in 2008 is really irrelevant at this point, and I don’t have anything to say about that incident or that season because I need to move forward just like the team does, and that’s what we plan on doing.

Other than that, he didn't have a lot to say in the media Q&A session. Pierce did add a shout out to his teammates for supporting him during the trying process: "My hat is off to my teammates. I had text messages and calls from my teammates. Throughout this whole process they’ve been very supportive, they’ve been there for me and it’s a lot easier when you’re on that green field with the boys. Coming back up to Albany again, getting ready for this 2009 season — that’s what I’ve been looking forward to and that’s what they’ve been looking forward to."

Pierce also indicated that he will not answer any further questions on the matter, so soak this blog up completely.

Comments (0)