Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm brings you hot news and the inside scoop about the NFL.

Safe bets: RB class has less pizzazz, but some sure options

Recent posts by Eric Edholm

Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler's Week Two picks

Posted Sept. 17, 2010 @ 3:20 p.m.

Five Fearless Predictions: Week One

Posted Sept. 10, 2010 @ 3:38 p.m.

Three Saints concerns for tonight's game

Posted Sept. 09, 2010 @ 2:05 p.m.

Three Vikings concerns for Thursday’s game

Posted Sept. 07, 2010 @ 2:51 p.m.

A note on Dan Hampton

Posted Sept. 06, 2010 @ 12:39 p.m.

The Patriots-Dolphins pointspread rollercoaster

Posted Dec. 06, 2009 @ 11:15 a.m.

Update: Patriots-Dolphins line back up in Las Vegas

Posted Dec. 03, 2009 @ 4:22 p.m.

What's going on with the Patriots-Dolphins line?

Posted Dec. 03, 2009 @ 2:50 p.m.

Waiting for the wheeling and dealing

Posted April 25, 2009 @ midnight

Jackson to Chiefs? I don't like it

Posted April 25, 2009 @ midnight

Top 5 observations

Posted April 25, 2009 @ midnight

'L.B.U.' could make history

Posted April 24, 2009 @ midnight

Jackson surging

Posted April 23, 2009 @ midnight

A lot to like about Baylor's Smith

Posted April 23, 2009 @ midnight

Britt has pro game figured

Posted April 21, 2009 @ midnight

Tags

Posted April 03, 2009 @ midnight
Updated Oct. 06, 2010 @ 7:26 p.m.
By Eric Edholm

Still buzzing about the Jay Cutler deal? You should be -- it was a whopper, one we might not see the likes of for the next decade. But for now, I'll take a brief respite and continue my series of the draft's safest picks, position by position.

Today we look at the running backs.

Georgia RB Knowshon MorenoThe debate among NFL people has narrowed the "best back" debate mostly down to two players -- Beanie Wells and Knowshon Moreno. Oh, can you find someone out there who likes Donald Brown or LeSean McCoy or Andre Brown better? I think you can. But the consensus appears to fall between Wells and Moreno for top honors.

Who's the best? I think Moreno, but mostly because I believe he's also the safer pick. He might not have that second gear, that breakaway element where he can outrun DBs, but he's a well-built, smart and competitive back who stays on the field, has no injury concerns and can fill a lot of roles for you.

Next on my "safest" list might be Donald Brown, who I have seen play a number of times and have liked a lot. Like Tashard Choice last year, whom I fell in love with during Senior Bowl week, I think Brown might not be special at any one thing, but he's put together well, can run through the tackles and will bounce a big play outside for you now and then.

I think Wells carries risk, and I am guessing he'll float down to the lower part of Round One. Finding a guy at his size who can run is rare, but the health issues that go along with him might never go away, I suspect. He will have his moments in the NFL and has the same kind of talent as a guy like Ki-Jana Carter had, but like Carter, Wells could struggle to play 16 games every year.

Comments (0)