Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm brings you hot news and the inside scoop about the NFL.

Cutler situation could last until Draft Day

Recent posts by Eric Edholm

Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler's Week Two picks

Posted Sept. 17, 2010 @ 3:20 p.m.

Five Fearless Predictions: Week One

Posted Sept. 10, 2010 @ 3:38 p.m.

Three Saints concerns for tonight's game

Posted Sept. 09, 2010 @ 2:05 p.m.

Three Vikings concerns for Thursday’s game

Posted Sept. 07, 2010 @ 2:51 p.m.

A note on Dan Hampton

Posted Sept. 06, 2010 @ 12:39 p.m.

The Patriots-Dolphins pointspread rollercoaster

Posted Dec. 06, 2009 @ 11:15 a.m.

Update: Patriots-Dolphins line back up in Las Vegas

Posted Dec. 03, 2009 @ 4:22 p.m.

What's going on with the Patriots-Dolphins line?

Posted Dec. 03, 2009 @ 2:50 p.m.

Waiting for the wheeling and dealing

Posted April 25, 2009 @ midnight

Jackson to Chiefs? I don't like it

Posted April 25, 2009 @ midnight

Top 5 observations

Posted April 25, 2009 @ midnight

'L.B.U.' could make history

Posted April 24, 2009 @ midnight

Jackson surging

Posted April 23, 2009 @ midnight

A lot to like about Baylor's Smith

Posted April 23, 2009 @ midnight

Britt has pro game figured

Posted April 21, 2009 @ midnight

Tags

Posted March 16, 2009 @ midnight
Updated Oct. 06, 2010 @ 7:26 p.m.
By Eric Edholm

I think if you're looking for a quick resolution to the game of chicken being played by Jay Cutler and the Broncos, you might be a little disappointed.

I think if we look back in a year and talk to the principles involved, both sides might admit they could have handled things better the first time. Kind of what I wrote about Brett Favre and the Packers -- with obvious differences, of course.

But the QB-coach relationship naturally is one of the most unique in sports, and while it doesn't have to be tantamount to a friendship (see Reid, Andy and McNabb, Donovan), it must involve trust and a certain working understanding. Right now, Cutler and the Broncos have nothing like that.

I talked to someone close to the situation about an hour ago and was told that everyone from here on out not named Cutler or McDaniels will not be commenting on things. But I know there's not a lot that can be done to rectify things.

Assuming they're in too deep here, the most logical situation is a trade. I just don't think one is happening for a while.

The Broncos saw firsthand the "mistake" the Patriots made by taking a supposedly lesser deal for Matt Cassel -- and boy, do they wish the Patriots had waited -- and likely will let the market percolate a bit before they do anything.

They have said to date that there is not going to be a trade, but my gut says there will -- eventually.

When? How about Draft Day? Sure, something could be in place, or a few deals could, in the days leading up to April 24. But I doubt the Broncos would make a trade before that point. They'll want to figure out who they can bring in to compete for the starting spot, be it through the draft or through the now diminshing returns of a now weak free-agent pool.

As to who might be interested in a deal, I think there is one team that will intrigue you, but I can't verify if there is legitimate interest or the possibility of a trade. So until then, I'll do more homework and get baqck to you when I know more.

Comments (0)