Fascinating juxtapositions in Week 6 at fantasy's most brutal position, from Gronk vs. Kelce in a battle of the top two tight ends on the planet, to Jordan Reed vs. Greg Olsen in a meeting of never injured (until the past year) and always hobbled (until this year).
We also have C.J. Uzomah and Vance McDonald clashing, with Uzomah becoming the Bengals' TE1 almost by default after Tyler Eifert and Tyler Kroft went down with injuries in successive weeks and McDonald trying not to revert back to Pittsburgh's TE2 as Jesse James remains visible.
The Niners and Packers pits perhaps the NFL's next great tight end, George Kittle, and Jimmy Graham, who has yet to show he's still great as a member of the Packers.
Then there's Eric Ebron, fantasy's TE2 overall (seriously), trying to overcome a host of injuries and build on the best game of his career (105 receiving yards and two TDs in Foxborough last Thursday) when he visits the Jets, who have been the best team in the league at defending tight ends — ironic because their own offense continues to barely recognize the position exists. Ebron missed the first two practices this week, but if he can battle through them like he did against the Patriots, climb aboard the big, inconsistent former first-rounder with 12 red-zone targets and five total touchdowns, second to Calvin Ridley among all NFL pass catchers.
Our advice (is below in the rankings section) but we'll also add that Olsen was a nonfactor in his first game back from the same injury last season, so his TE16 ranking might feel a bit low but actually is fairly aggressive relative to the M.A.S.H. unit with which we have to work.
We like Cameron Brate quite a bit this week. We keep wanting to like Tyler Higbee, who might not get a better chance than Sunday to become a weapon for Sean McVay. And we just feel this bears repeating: Eric Ebron, whose career game last week began fittingly with a drop, is the TE2 overall. Let that sink in, Lions fans.
1. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots vs. Chiefs
2. Travis Kelce, Chiefs at Patriots
3. Zach Ertz, Eagles at Giants
4. George Kittle, 49ers at Packers
5. Jordan Reed, Washington vs. Panthers
6. Jared Cook, Raiders vs. Seahawks
7. Cameron Brate, Bucs at Falcons
8. Eric Ebron*, Colts at Jets
9. Kyle Rudolph, Vikings vs. Cardinals
10. Jimmy Graham, Packers vs. 49ers
11. Austin Hooper, Falcons vs. Bucs
12. Trey Burton, Bears at Dolphins
13. David Njoku, Browns vs. Chargers
14. Vance McDonald, Steelers at Bengals
15. C.J. Uzomah, Bengals vs. Steelers
16. Greg Olsen, Panthers at Washington
17. Ricky Seals-Jones, Cardinals at Vikings
18. Charles Clay, Bills at Texans
19. Ryan Griffin, Texans vs. Bills
20. Geoff Swaim, Cowboys vs. Jaguars
21. Antonio Gates, Chargers at Browns
22. Tyler Higbee, Rams at Broncos
23. Niles Paul, Jaguars at Cowboys
24. Nick Vannett, Seahawks at Raiders
25. Jesse James, Steelers at Bengals