Marrone stresses importance of competition when talking Bills' QBs

Recent posts by Kevin Fishbain

Dolphins snag former Ravens LB Ellerbe

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:59 p.m.

Broncos sign former Chargers OG Vasquez

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:20 p.m.

Dolphins land WR Wallace

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:13 p.m.

Bills release QB Fitzpatrick

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 4:48 p.m.

Eagles release CB Asomugha

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 3:58 p.m.

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 2:45 p.m. ET
By Kevin Fishbain

INDIANAPOLIS — Like the other coaches who are inheriting questions at quarterback, Bills head man Doug Marrone offered little in terms of clarity as to who will take the snap for Buffalo in Week One.

It’s not just quarterback, though, as Marrone reminded reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine that he has yet to meet his players.

“When you take over a job and look at what they’ve done in the past, I think it’s part of a process. You don’t know what’s been asked of the players. I don’t like to put too much into it, because I want to look forward,” he said. “The challenge is that I’ve been the head coach for a month and I don’t have a chance to talk to the players face to face until voluntary workouts on April 2.

“The most important part of the organization and why we’re all here is the players. I’m looking forward to that, meeting with them and installing our system.”

Last week, the Bills re-signed QB Tarvaris Jackson. After going to Buffalo in a trade prior to the 2012 regular season, Jackson did not appear in a single game, yet Marrone said the former Seahawks starter will compete with Ryan Fitzpatrick — and likely a rookie, as well — to start.

Marrone avoided going into much detail when asked what it was about Jackson that convinced the organization to make that decision.

“Both players have NFL experience and have played in games in the NFL. It’s natural. You look at where we are today, the competitiveness of the players that are here, trying to impress the NFL personnel,” Marrone said. “I’m a new head coach coming in, I’m very competitive. The security guard in our building is very competitive. … We’re all being competitive in what we’re doing.”

Jackson’s contract is reportedly worth $1.75 million in base salary with $500,000 guaranteed. In 2011, he started 14 games for Seattle, completing 60.2 percent of his passes for 14 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

“I looked at the roster, talked to Buddy (Nix), and there are things (Jackson) has done on tape prior to his arrival in Buffalo that we looked at,” Marrone said. “I’m excited to work with him. I believe in developing players, working with them and gaining that trust. … A lot of times, things get confusing. My job is to coach. The players that are on the roster, it’s my job to coach them and win games. It’s really as simple as that.”

Fitzpatrick is due a $3 million bonus on March 13, and for the first time since 2010, enters a regular season not entrenched as the Bills’ starter.

“We’re all competitors,” Marrone said when asked about Fitzpatrick’s reaction to the decision to bring back Jackson. “In my experience, I’ve never really seen a player that wasn’t open to competition.”

Follow Kevin Fishbain on Twitter