Te'o tells Couric he lied about girlfriend

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Manti Te'o ready to move on, focus on football

Posted Feb. 23, 2013 @ 3:27 p.m.

Insider on Ansah: 'He's a one-year wonder'

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

Te'o says 'pain' was real in TV interview

Posted Jan. 24, 2013 @ 6 p.m.

Notre Dame: Te'o was victim of a hoax

Posted Jan. 16, 2013 @ 5:57 p.m.

PFW 2012 All-America team

Posted Dec. 11, 2012 @ 3:20 p.m.

Te'o, Smith are Butkus Award winners

Posted Dec. 03, 2012 @ 1:18 p.m.

Butkus Award finalists announced

Posted Nov. 20, 2012 @ 11:58 a.m.

Te'o, Jones key strong LB class

Posted Oct. 28, 2012 @ 7:28 p.m.

Inspired LB Te'o propels Irish to upset win

Posted Sept. 17, 2012 @ 2:41 a.m.
Posted Jan. 23, 2013 @ 11:44 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) — Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o has told Katie Couric that he briefly lied about his online girlfriend after discovering she didn't exist, while maintaining that he had no part in creating the hoax.

Pressed by Couric to admit that he was in on the deception, Te'o said he believed that his girlfriend Lennay Kekua had died of cancer and didn't lie about it until December.

"Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12," Te'o said in an interview to air Thursday on Couric's syndicated talk show. A segment of the interview with Te'o and his parents was broadcast Wednesday on "Good Morning America."

The Heisman Trophy runner-up said he only learned of the hoax when he received a phone call in December from a woman saying she was Kekua.

"Now I get a phone call on Dec. 6, saying that she's alive and then I'm going be put on national TV two days later. And to ask me about the same question. You know, what would you do?" Te'o said.

An Associated Press review of news coverage found that the Heisman Trophy runner-up talked about his doomed love in a Web interview on Dec. 8 and again in a newspaper interview published Dec. 10.

Te'o's father defended his son when Couric pointed out that many people don't believe the Irish star, suspecting he used the situation for personal gain.

"People can speculate about what they think he is. I've known him 21 years of his life. And he's not a liar. He's a kid," Brian Te'o said with tears in his eyes.

On Tuesday, the woman whose photo was used as the "face" of the Twitter account of Te'o's supposed girlfriend says the man allegedly behind the hoax confessed and apologized to her.

Diane O'Meara told NBC's "Today" show that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo used pictures of her without her knowledge in creating a fake woman called Lennay Kekua.

©2013 by STATS LLC and Associated Press.
Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited.