Pro Football weekly

Comment | Print |

Chiefs' Belcher dies in apparent murder-suicide

Related Stories

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted Dec. 01, 2012 @ 6:05 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Updated 4:24 p.m. EST on Saturday, Dec. 1

According to multiple published reports, Kansas City police have confirmed Chiefs LB Jovan Belcher died in in an apparent murder-suicide on Saturday.

The Kansas City Star and reported the news of Belcher's death. 

Multiple reports say Belcher, 25, shot himself in Arrowhead Stadium's parking lot after allegedly killing a woman reported to be his girlfriend at a Kansas City residence, according to Kansas City police.

According to and The Star, Kansas City police have identified the deceased woman as 22-year-old Kasandra Perkins.

The Chiefs announced Saturday afternoon that Sunday's game vs. Carolina will be played as scheduled at 1 p.m. Eastern, with the decision stemming from "discussions between the league office, head coach Romeo Crennel and Chiefs team captains."

Per multiple reports, Kansas City police said Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli were among the club personnel who encountered Belcher at the stadium. According to The Star, which cited police, the team tried to keep Belcher from "committing additional acts of violence."

Kansas City police captain David Lindaman told The Star that Belcher spoke with Pioli before taking his own life. 

“There was no threat and it was quite friendly, from what I understand," Lindaman told The Star. "The Chiefs organization had been very supportive of him and he was expressing that.

Lindaman told The Star that Belcher's mother was home when Belcher is alleged to have shot his girlfriend. Belcher and the woman had an infant daughter, according to multiple reports. 

According to USA Today, the child is safe and with family.  

"The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy," Chiefs chairman and chief executive officer Clark Hunt said Saturday in a statement issued by the club. "We sincerely appreciate the expressions of sympathy and support we have received from so many in the Kansas City and NFL communities, and ask for continued prayers for the loved ones of those impacted.

"We will continue to fully cooperate with the authorities and work to ensure that the appropriate counseling resources are available to all members of the organization.”

According to, the league released the following statement in regard to the events in Kansas City: 

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Chiefs and the families and friends of those who lost their lives in this terrible tragedy. We have connected the Chiefs with our national team of professional counselors to support both the team and the families of those affected. We will continue to provide assistance in any way that we can."

The NFL Players Association, in a statement released Saturday, said it was "deeply saddened by the events today, and we have been in touch with the Kansas City Chiefs players. We offer our sincerest condolences to the families affected."

Belcher played collegiately at Maine. He was in his fourth season with Kansas City. He had started all but two games in the last three seasons for the Chiefs. 

"Devastated. One of everyone's favorite teammates including one of mine," Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki wrote on Twitter on Saturday. "Great great great teammate. We will miss him forever.

In his next post, Moeaki added: "I'm devastated for everyone involved."

Comments ()