Thursday's 60-second rant: No end in sight to major fantasy funk

Dan Arkush

darkush@pfwmedia.com
Executive editor

Recent posts by Dan Arkush

Baylor WR Williams in first-round conversation

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 2:26 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Seahawks GM likes 'win-win' QB situation

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 6:53 p.m.

Old-school Arians feeling young at heart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:51 p.m.

Packers RB Harris looks like a real keeper

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 1:32 p.m.

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted Sept. 20, 2012 @ 3:23 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush

Memo to Mike Mularkey, Mike Munchak, Romeo Crennel and whoever the hell is currently coaching the Saints: Misery loves company.

Like you poor saps, I, too, am sitting at 0-2, albeit in the PFW Inter-office Fantasy league, as opposed to the real gridiron deal.

In addition, I, too, will be facing a fellow 0-2 team this week — Coach K’s Killers (that’s me) vs. The Guns of Hochuli (PFW Senior editor Eric Edholm) — and I would be lying if I said I was confident that my fantasy fortunes could be on the upswing.

Forgive me for having fantasy football on the brain in this rant, but I can’t help myself.

Before launching into this particular piece of writing, I had to fire off the latest fantasy tips on players that perform on the five NFL teams that I specialize in for Pro Football Weekly — the Packers in the NFC North and all the teams in the NFC West.

In addition, as is the case, I’m guessing, with many of you reading this, I need to start putting together my fantasy lineup this week with the Giants limping into Bank of America Stadium tonight to play the Panthers.

That the Giants will be forced to play without Hakeem Nicks, who just happens to be my No. 2 WR, is the latest major bummer in a fantasy campaign that got off to a ghastly start in Week One when Fred Jackson, my No. 2 RB, went down for the count with a knee injury that is expected to keep him out for maybe quite a while.

Even if Jackson heals sooner than later, you have to wonder about his future fantasy impact considering the way backup C.J. Spiller has picked up the baton in Buffalo.

Four nights after Jackson was hurt, my fantasy futility continued with Jay Cutler, my No. 1 fantasy QB, looking absolutely awful in a losing effort to the Packers, and Jermichael Finley, my No. 1 fantasy 1 tight end, looking disturbingly ordinary in a winning effort.

Fast forward to last Sunday. Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald, my No. 1 fantasy wideout, had one catch for four yards in a winning effort over New England — a performance that continues to boggle my grizzled mind. Meanwhile, Raiders RB Darren McFadden, my No. 1 fantasy RB, was equally ineffective, managing a mere 22 yards in 11 carries in a loss to Miami.

At least I could find a little bit of solace in Nicks’ superior 10-199-1 effort in the Giants’ come-from-behind win over the upstart Buccaneers.

Then yesterday, seemingly in the clutches of a never-ending nightmare, I find out that Nicks' foot is too tender to enable him to play tonight vs. the Panthers.

Perhaps this article should be considered a 60-second vent, as it should be clear to you by now that I’m feeling very sorry for myself.

Excuse me for that, but I admit to taking the games PFW editors play during the season — the fantasy league and the Handicapper’s Corner — pretty seriously, as they provide a badly needed diversion to the 24/7 gridiron grind.

It helps that, in recent years, I’ve been pretty successful both in the PFW Fantasy league and Handicapper’s Corner. In both cases so far this season, however, I am off to shaky starts that are real cause for concern, especially my fantasy team, which I actually couldn’t have felt better about going into the season.

But I guess I’m going to have to just keep on grinding and hope that Rams WR Danny Amendola, who I actually talked to yesterday in a phone interview, can come off my fantasy bench to adequately replace Nicks.

And that Larry Fitzgerald and Darren McFadden will actually turn back into Larry Fitzgerald and Darren McFadden and not some sorry-ass imitators destined to keep me in a fantasy funk well into December.

Wish me luck. I’m done venting, er, ranting.