Ex-Lion Berry apologizes, will enter substance-abuse program

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted July 23, 2012 @ 9:20 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Former Lions CB Aaron Berry apologized Monday after a second offseason arrest ended his career with the club.

“Words cannot describe how embarrassed I am right now," said Berry, arrested Saturday on simple assault charges that reportedly involve a weapon, in a statement released on the website of Paradigm Sports Management, which represents him. The Lions released Berry on Monday.

Said Berry: "I’ve let my family, my teammates, my coaches and the entire Detroit Lions organization, including the fans down and I'm so sorry. I know it sounds crazy to some people, but I know I will continue to get better and grow from this unfortunate experience, I have no choice but to get better.

"There are always two sides to every story, and the legal process will be where I will tell my side regarding this recent incident. I love the game of football and still feel I have a bright future ahead of me. I worked my butt off this off-season and I hope to be able to help some team in the NFL win games as I continue to grow as a father, friend, teammate and into the man I want to be.

"I want to thank Coach (Jim) Schwartz, Coach (Gunther) Cunningham, (general manager) Martin Mayhew and all the Lions staff, players and fan base for such a wonderful opportunity where I was able to showcase my football skills. Again, I’m so sorry for letting you all down.”

Berry also reportedly faces DUI and other driving charges from a June incident.

Audie Attar, Berry's agent, said in a statement that the cornerback is "heading to Chicago (Tuesday) to enter the NFL's substance-abuse program where he will meet with a team of physicians. He will continue with a similar program in California to ensure he is learning more about himself."

Attar said he was "confident" Berry would play for an NFL team this season.