Holdout possible, but Forte plans to play in '12

Posted June 22, 2012 @ 4:12 p.m.
Posted By PFW staff

Bears RB Matt Forte told reporters on Friday that he will not miss the 2012 regular season.

Forte, who received the franchise tag and has been looking for a long-term deal for over a year now, did not attend the team’s OTAs or minicamp.

“Talks continue to go on, so I’m really optimistic about that part, that we continue to talk,” Forte told WSCR-AM.

The Bears and Forte have until July 16 to reach a deal. His franchise tender will be worth approximately $7.7 million for 2012.

“People are concerned about not being at OTAs and things like that, but we missed OTAs last year during the lockout and I get really good training anyway,” Forte told WSCR-AM.

Forte had 997 yards rushing and 490 yards receiving in 12 games before suffering a season-ending knee injury.