Patriots WR Wes Welker signed his franchise tender on Wednesday, worth $9.5 million, but he is not satisfied with the state of contract talks for a contract extension.
“There have been talks, but nothing that’s brightened anything at all. It’s actually gotten worse,” Welker told the Boston Herald on Thursday.
Welker said the current offer is less than the two-year, $16 million fully guaranteed contract offer he received during the 2011 regular season. Welker wanted to sign the tender so he could attend the Patriots’ OTAs.
“If they see me out there at OTAs and minicamps and everything else, and I’m still out there winning and doing what I need to do to help the team win, you know what, the ball’s in their court to make something happen,” Welker said.
“That’s kind of my mindset. To go out and show them I deserve it.”
In a radio appearance on WEEI before signing his tender, Welker said he had “9.5 million reasons” why he would not miss a regular-season game.
“The ball’s in their court. I just want to play,” Welker told the Herald. “At the end of the day, if it’s one year, $9.5 million, it’s one year, $9.5 million. I’m good with that.”
The way we see it
It had been reported the two sides weren’t close on a deal, and Welker seemed to shift gears on Thursday to show his frustration. The Patriots have plenty of insurance at the position, and it’s unlikely the Patriots will make an offer that satisfies Welker, especially considering the current market at wide receiver.