Giants add DT Rogers

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted April 26, 2012 @ 4:56 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The Giants have agreed to a contract with DT Shaun Rogers. Terms and conditions of the deal were not announced.

Rogers, a 350-pound run stuffer, will be playing for his third team in three years in 2012. He suited up for the Saints last year, registering 22 tackles in 16 games.

Before that, he played with the Browns (2008-10) and Lions (2001-07). A three-time Pro Bowler, Rogers has 504 career tackles and 37½ career sacks. He now joins the defending Super Bowl champions and their standout defensive line.

“I’m kind of honored and I appreciated them holding me in a regard enough to put me in along those guys,” Rogers said in a statement released by the team. “Those guys are most definitely top-notch pass rushers, defensive linemen right now, especially in their prime. I’m just happy to be a part of that group, those guys are going to help me out and hopefully I can help them out.

“Hopefully, we can be another Super Bowl champion. You get an opportunity to join an organization of this caliber with lofty goals and a great track record, you go ahead and do that. Hopefully, I can bring some of my experience over the past few years and just fit in and play a part.”

The way we see it

The Giants believe they never can have enough defensive linemen, but clearly this move — along with the return of injured 2011 second-rounder Marvin Austin — probably eliminates the Giants from taking an inside player too high in the draft. Rogers can play the nose, and that’s it. But he can help preserve some of the team’s ends from having to kick inside, other than in pass-rush situations.

What could be an interesting development is if this opens the door for Osi Umenyiora, who is likely not going to get his extension with the team, to be traded. Something to keep an eye on.