Bush's heart leads him to stay in Green Bay

Dan Arkush

darkush@pfwmedia.com
Executive editor

Recent posts by Dan Arkush

Baylor WR Williams in first-round conversation

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 2:26 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Seahawks GM likes 'win-win' QB situation

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 6:53 p.m.

Old-school Arians feeling young at heart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:51 p.m.

Packers RB Harris looks like a real keeper

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 1:32 p.m.

Green Bay Packers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 4:32 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Packers release C Jeff Saturday

Posted Feb. 18, 2013 @ 7:34 p.m.

Packers announce release of DB Woodson

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Vikings should keep Harvin ... for now

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 5:42 p.m.

Packers WR Donald Driver calls it a career

Posted Feb. 06, 2013 @ 8:01 p.m.

Packers WR Driver retires after 14 seasons

Posted Jan. 31, 2013 @ 9:54 a.m.

Vikings will explore free-agent WR possibilities

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 9:54 p.m.

14-year veteran C Saturday to retire

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 2:56 p.m.
Posted April 23, 2012 @ 10:30 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush

To hear Jarrett Bush tell it, even Don Corleone would have had a hard time coming up with a strong enough offer to convince the unrestricted free agent to sign elsewhere this offseason.

Not that the Jets and Cardinals, among other teams, didn’t try to convince the Packers’ increasingly valuable reserve defensive back/special-teams ace that the grass just might be greener for him on a team other than Green Bay.

“Green Bay was definitely where my heart was,” Bush told PFW in the early stages of the team’s offseason conditioning program after signing a new three-year deal with the Packers almost exactly a month earlier.

“Both New York and Arizona are great organizations, but it came down to where I felt I was the best fit,” Bush said. “I thought the Green Bay coaching staff knows what I’m capable of, and I love the fans here and definitely feel that the team is still a contender.

“After weighing all the options, it had to be Green Bay.”

Bush has been particularly upbeat about his surroundings since an impressive coming-out party, of sorts, in the Packers’ Super Bowl XLV victory over the Steelers.

“I didn’t have the best opportunity during the (2010) season, but to have such a huge Super Bowl performance made me feel extremely confident going into the next season,” Bush said of an excellent all-around outing on both special teams and cornerback in place of the injured Charles Woodson and Sam Shields (five tackles and a key interception).

The 27-year-old Bush again made his presence felt more beyond just special teams late last season when he replaced Shields as the third corner in the playoffs because of his superior tackling skills and aggressiveness.

That aggressiveness is constantly on display when he’s covering punts and kickoffs as well as anybody in the league, as evidenced by how often he is double-teamed as a gunner.

“I just do the best I can,” Bush said of the obvious zest he displays on special teams. “Just looking to extend my role on defense, and down as many punts as I can inside the 10 and make that field as long as possible for the other team.

“I am extremely physical and take great pride in my special-teams play.”