Five questions with Packers legend Jerry Kramer

Dan Arkush

darkush@pfwmedia.com
Executive editor

Recent posts by Dan Arkush

Baylor WR Williams in first-round conversation

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 2:26 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Seahawks GM likes 'win-win' QB situation

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 6:53 p.m.

Old-school Arians feeling young at heart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:51 p.m.

Packers RB Harris looks like a real keeper

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 1:32 p.m.

Green Bay Packers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 4:32 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Packers release C Jeff Saturday

Posted Feb. 18, 2013 @ 7:34 p.m.

Packers announce release of DB Woodson

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Vikings should keep Harvin ... for now

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 5:42 p.m.

Packers WR Donald Driver calls it a career

Posted Feb. 06, 2013 @ 8:01 p.m.

Packers WR Driver retires after 14 seasons

Posted Jan. 31, 2013 @ 9:54 a.m.

Vikings will explore free-agent WR possibilities

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 9:54 p.m.

14-year veteran C Saturday to retire

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 2:56 p.m.
Posted Nov. 23, 2011 @ 3:40 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush

Each week throughout the season, PFW executive editor and resident Packers expert Dan Arkush hooks up with a personality who has connections with the Packers and asks him five team-related questions. This week, Dan connects with Jerry Kramer.

1. How surprised were you by the strong effort put forth by Tampa Bay against the Packers in Week 11?

Kramer: I don't think Aaron (Rodgers) had his best game by a fairly significant margin, and maybe that's a wake-up call, realizing that he can't be perfect every time he goes on the field. He threw 3-4 balls that were at least 10 yards off and actually proved that he was human. Maybe it will take a little pressure off of him, realizing that he can't be so damn perfect on every throw he makes.

2. Where will you be watching Thursday's game?

Kramer: I will be home in Boise. I'm pretty sure I'll be calling (former Detroit OLB) Wayne Walker, with whom I've been placing bets on Lions-Packers games for the last 15 years.

3. What kind of a game are you expecting on Turkey Day?

Kramer: I would be perfectly happy with a three-point win. Hell, I'd be happy with a one-point win going into that Lion's den. We better be prepared to play. Because most of the Lions' fans I run into have had only one game to cheer about in the last 50 years — the game in '62 when they beat us. I think it's going to be a knock-down, drag-out fight. If Detroit plays like it did a few weeks ago, when they were connecting with only one receiver, that's one thing. If (Matthew) Stafford can throw to 4-5 people like he did last Sunday, that's another thing.

4. The Lions have developed a reputation for being a bit on the dirty side, particularly DT Ndamukong Suh. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Kramer: I would like to say something to Ndamukong. I got to have lunch with him recently, and I think he's a hellvua nice kid. I don't know if he did some of the dirty things he's been accused of doing, but I would encourage him not to lower himself to such extremes. He does not need to do any of those things. He's a force by himself, a sensational player. All that extracurricular stuff is unnecessary and just detracts from his image. He should just play the game fair and square.

5. Can the Bears remain a legitimate force in the NFC North without the injured Jay Cutler under center?

Kramer: Even though they have always been more of a defensive team, I think this injury hurts them a lot. Jay had come on really strong and was playing some of his best football. I was getting very uncomfortable with the way he was starting to play. I don't know about the new guy (Caleb Hanie), but funny things happen sometimes. If he has the burn, the hunger, the drive, all that emotional stuff, and everybody else turns up their game 2-3 notches, maybe the Bears can get by without Jay.

(Go to JerryKramer.com/Contests to find out how to enter his weekly Packer PickPrediction and Super Bowl PickPrediction contest.)