Titans rookie Klug surprising with pass-rush production

Recent posts by Arthur Arkush

Colts add OT Cherilus, CB Toler

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:31 p.m.

Bills bring back McKelvin

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 1:45 p.m.

Saints re-sign Galette

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 1:31 p.m.

Steelers part ways with OLB Harrison

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 12:40 p.m.

SS Moore is staying with the Falcons

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 9:36 a.m.

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted Nov. 04, 2011 @ 3:21 a.m. ET
By Arthur Arkush

Despite first-round QB Jake Locker attempting only two passes in the first seven games, the Titans' rookie class has shown great promise. Three rookies are making regular contributions on defense: SLB Akeem Ayers, and DTs Jurrell Casey and Karl Klug. Of all the Titans rookies, none has made a greater impact than Klug, Tennessee's fifth-round pick out of Iowa. In fact, the former Hawkeye leads the Titans in sacks (three) and forced fumbles (two).

Ironically, Klug wasn't known as a pass rusher coming out of college. He has made great strides since reaching the pros, however, saying that while he is happy with his solid start, he knows there is plenty of hard work yet to be done.

"The biggest thing I'm working on is my counter move." Klug told PFW by phone on Nov. 2. "Sometimes I work my first move, and when I got stopped, I need to get better with my second move.

"Also, the placement of my hands in the run game, so I'm not turning my pads, but staying more square to the line of scrimmage and stuff like that."

Playing on a talented line at Iowa alongside fellow NFL rookies Adrian Clayborn and Christian Ballard, Klug often flew under the radar. His defensive coordinator at the time, Norm Parker, gave him advice that has stuck with him.

"He (Parker) pulled me aside one day — I took it as a compliment — and he told me, 'Hey, Klug, you know you didn't get here off your talent; you got here off your work ethic. You can't let that go — keep doing it.' So, I kind of took that with me wherever I go. I thought that was a great compliment. Some people might not take it that way," said Klug, laughing.

At 6-3, 275 pounds, Klug is one of the lighter Titans linemen. Tennessee made a point of getting bigger up front in the offseason, but Klug, who said he feels great physically, said Titans D-line coach Tracy Rocker doesn't have a problem with his size.

"He said it didn't matter to him at all. He would see how I play, and if he thought I needed to add weight, he would let me know. But I haven't heard anything."