Vikings disappointed in lack of urgency regarding new stadium

Posted Nov. 02, 2011 @ 7:21 p.m.
Posted By PFW staff

With the news Wednesday that Minnesota legislators were not interested in convening for a special session to discuss plans for a new stadium for the Vikings, the momentum that had been moving toward some kind of deal now has been slowed.

Gov. Mark Dayton said Wednesday that he was "disappointed" that there hasn't been more progress made regarding a solution to the Vikings' stadium issue. In fact, the legislators discussed via email not addressing the stadium situation until 2012.

Dayton said he heard "very clearly from legislative leaders that they don't believe a special session, on the timetable I've proposed … is feasible." The governor said further delays in putting off a new deal could cost the state millions of dollars.

The governor also said that he would be canceling a meeting with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf that was scheduled for Friday and that he would no longer be presenting a stadium proposal on Monday.

The team issued a statement regarding Wednesday's turn of events. It read:

"The Vikings are concerned about the turn of events surrounding a stadium solution in Minnesota. While we have been encouraged by the efforts of Governor Dayton and the four caucus leaders to seriously discuss this issue, these recent developments are very disappointing. The Vikings stadium issue has been heavily debated in the public for over 10 years. With less than 90 days left on the team's lease, the urgency to act is on us.
 
"The Vikings continue to stand ready to work with State leaders on a stadium solution that works for Minnesota and the team."