Reports: Hillis confirms agent advised him not to play

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted Oct. 10, 2011 @ 4:57 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Browns RB Peyton Hillis further explained to Browns reporters at an open locker-room session Monday his decision not to play vs. the Dolphins in Week Three because of strep throat, confirming that agent Kennard McGuire advised him not to play.

Hillis, according to The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer, indicated that McGuire's advice played a big part in his decision not to play.

"I needed somebody else's opinion," he said, according to the paper. "I am hard-headed and I like to go out there and play even though I'm probably not up for it."

McGuire told The Associated Press last week that he had told Hillis not to play vs. Miami.

Hillis also indicated it was his own call to make whether to play or not, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.

"It was his recommendation, but it was ultimately my decision in the end," Hillis said Monday, according to the paper. "We both knew how sick I was and how bad it could be for the team and for myself if I tried to play. It wasn't just the agent's decision. It was mine also."

Hillis, per The Plain Dealer, believes he made the right call not playing.

"It was the right thing for myself, the right thing for the team,'' Hillis said, according to the paper.

Hillis told Cleveland reporters he is unsure about his future in Cleveland beyond this season. He is slated to be a free agent after the 2011 campaign.

"Yeah, that definitely worries me," Hillis said, according to the Beacon Journal when asked if he was concerned whether he would be in Cleveland for the long haul.

The way we see it

The fall-out from Hillis' decision not to play in Week Three and discussion about Hillis' future in Cleveland continues. Hillis might have been too sick to play in Week Three, but his unresolved contract status has made this an issue that has become a headline story as Cleveland prepares for Oakland in Week Six.