About the Author
Recent posts by William Del Pilar
Updated 3:35 p.m. ET Sunday, Sept. 11
Here are the injury updates for today's late games:
- Cardinals RB Chester Taylor is inactive today which is not a surprise considering he was just signed last week. Beanie Wells has an incredible matchup against the hapless Panthers who can’t stop the run. He’ll see the bulk of the carries and should be in all lineups.
- Redskins TE Chris Cooley (knee) is active today. How much he plays remains to be seen, but with a solid pass-catching tight end in Fred Davis, I see no reason to play Cooley. Remember, Cooley has not seen the field yet this season and is not 100 percent. There are better “upside” tight ends in the league to own.
- Redskins RB Ryan Torain (hand) is active but was the No. 3 running back heading into the season. Look for him and Roy Helu to spell starter Tim Hightower. Torain may see time as a change of pace back for Hightower, but Helu’s a playmaker and is 100 percent. He should see most of the non-Hightower touches. Torain is not worth inserting in your lineup.
- Seahawks WR Sidney Rice (shoulder) is inactive. Look for WR Ben Obomanu to start in his place but none of the wideouts makes a great play. QB Tarvaris Jackson has struggled this preseason and the team is learning a new offense. Look for the team to lean on RB Marshawn Lynch this weekend. Obomanu is not worth a start.
- 49ers WR Michael Crabtree (foot) is not inactive, but no one knows how much time he’ll see on the field. He has not had time to develop any chemistry or integrate himself into the new offense head coach Jim Harbaugh has. Crabtree has the talent and a solid match up but can’t be counted on to produce as evidenced last season. Until we see him play keep him on your bench.
Here are the injury updates for today's early action:
- Eagles WR Steve Smith is active today but he's still not worth a play, as he may not see the field and if he does, it will be in select formations. DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Jason Avant are entrenched and know the offense. Don't assume name recognition will equal playing time.
- Jaguars TE Zach Miller (knee) is inactive, and while he has no value, his loss may increase the looks TE Marcedes Lewis will see.
- Texans RB Arian Foster (hamstring) is not active today. Look for Derrick Ward to start, but Ben Tate to spell him. Once the game begins, the team will go with the hot hand. Ward’s the safe play but if you don’t mind high risk, high reward, start Ben Tate who had an explosive preseason.
- Colts WRs Anthony Gonzalez and Blair White are inactive today. Neither had much fantasy value going into the season with the loss of QB Peyton Manning. Neither should be on fantasy rosters.
- Steelers WR Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring) is inactive, but he had no value going into the season as the team’s No. 5 wideout and shouldn’t be on fantasy rosters.
- Bears RB Marion Baber (calf) is inactive, leaving the Bears thin in the backfield. Look for Matt Forté to see short-yardage and goal-line carries this week with Kahlil Bell spelling him.
- Rams WRs Austin Pettis and Danario Alexander, and TE Michael Hoomanawanui are inactive today. WRs Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson are still weak plays against a revamped Eagles secondary. However, TE Lance Kendricks is still a solid play as the Eagles struggle to defend the position.
- Titans RB Javon Ringer (hip) is inactive, leaving the bulk of the load to Chris Johnson as planned. Look for Jamie Harper to see a few plays in relief of CJ. If CJ can’t get going, it will be a long day for the Titans as they’re counting on him to carry the team.