About the Author
Recent posts by Pat Fitzmaurice
Here are the Week One fantasy rankings for defenses:
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Ravens
- San Diego Chargers vs. Vikings
- New York Jets vs. Cowboys
- Baltimore Ravens vs. Steelers
- New England Patriots at Dolphins
- San Francisco 49ers vs. Seahawks
- Cleveland Browns vs. Bengals
- Green Bay Packers vs. Saints
- Chicago Bears vs. Falcons
- Atlanta Falcons at Bears
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Lions
- New York Giants at Redskins
- Dallas Cowboys at Jets
- Kansas City Chiefs vs. Bills
- Buffalo Bills at Chiefs
- Detroit Lions at Buccaneers
- Philadelphia Eagles at Rams
- Oakland Raiders at Broncos
- Seattle Seahawks at 49ers
- Arizona Cardinals vs. Panthers
- Cincinnati Bengals at Browns
- New Orleans Saints at Packers
- Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Titans
- Carolina Panthers at Cardinals
- Tennessee Titans at Jaguars
- Miami Dolphins vs. Patriots
- Washington Redskins vs. Giants
- Denver Broncos vs. Raiders
- St. Louis Rams vs. Eagles
- Houston Texans vs. Colts
- Minnesota Vikings at Chargers
- Indianapolis Colts at Texans
The above player rankings are based on expectations for this week only, not for the entire season, taking into account this week's specific matchups and injuries. The initial rankings are compiled before the release of the NFL's early injury report and are updated Thursday to reflect the status of each player.
We base our rankings on the following scoring system: For skill-position players, one point for every 10 rushing/receiving yards, one point for every 30 passing yards, six points for a TD run or catch, four points for a TD pass, two points for a two-point conversion run or catch, two points for a two-point conversion pass. For kickers, three points for FGs of 18-39 yards, four points for FGs of 40-49 yards, and five points for FGs of 50-plus yards. Defensive rankings are based primarily on points allowed, yardage allowed and sack potential.
Glossary of notations
INJ — player has an injury that may affect productivity or availability.
ILL — player has an illness that may affect productivity or availability.
UP — player was moved up on draft board after original posting.
DOWN — player was moved down on draft board after original posting.
Not listed — player is temporarily sidelined due to injury or suspension but otherwise would be ranked.
ACTIVE — on game day, player has been designated active (posted shortly before kickoff, when available).
INACTIVE — on game day, player has been designated inactive (posted shortly before kickoff, when available).
Players and/or notations added after the original posting are shown in boldface.
Note: Remember to check back for late-week and weekend updates, as well as game inactives (when available) in the 90 minutes preceding the 1 p.m. Sunday kickoffs.