Raiders rookie QB Terrelle Pryor will appeal his five-game suspension, after all, a league source has told NFL Network.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell ruled that Pryor would be allowed to enter the NFL's supplemental draft in August but that a five-game suspension he had been given by the NCAA for his conduct at Ohio State related to a cash-for-memorabilia scandal would carry over to the first five games of this NFL season.
After the Raiders drafted Pryor in the third round of the supplemental draft, Pryor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that the former Ohio State quarterback would not appeal the suspension. However, Pryor later said in a halftime interview on "Monday Night Football" that he would appeal the suspension if Raiders owner Al Davis asked him to do so.
Pryor signed a four-year, $2.7 million contract with the Raiders, and although he was allowed to practice in the preseason, he didn't appear in either of the team's two games after he was drafted. If the suspension stands, he won't be allowed to practice with the team until the suspension ends Oct. 10.
The way we see it
An appeal of the suspension is not surprising, especially considering that Goodell's action in levying the suspension for conduct during Pryor's college career is thought to be on rather shaky ground and without precedent. Although Pryor likely wouldn't see much game action in the first five games anyway, his inability to practice with the team during the suspension would put him even further behind his teammates in learning the playbook and getting accustomed to playing with his teammates. Although Pryor has said his preference is to play quarterback in the NFL, as he did at Ohio State, the 6-5, 232-pounder, who recorded a 4.36-second 40-time at his pro day, could also play wide receiver or tight end. But learning any of these positions will require time and plenty of reps.