Titans WR Kenny Britt will not be suspended to start the season, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Saturday.
Aiello said that the Titans were informed Friday by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell that the league had decided not to impose disciplinary action on Britt "at this time."
"The commissioner restated his expectation that Britt will be responsible for his actions going forward and noted that future incidents will lead to appropriate discipline," Aiello told NFL.com.
Britt met with Goodell in New York on Tuesday after twice being arrested in New Jersey during the lockout and two arrest warrants in Tennessee for inaccurate information on his driver's license applications. Those are part of seven incidents with police since April 2009, when Britt became the first player from Rutgers drafted in the first round.
Among the seven incidents were outstanding traffic warrants, driving without a license, failing to pay bail that had been promised for a friend, and a bar fight in which no charges were brought against Britt after a grand jury investigation. He was also arrested April 12 in Bayonne, N.J., his hometown, and charged with eluding a police officer and hindering apprehension after police allegedly caught him driving his Porsche 71 mph in a 50-mph zone. The charges were later reduced to a misdemeanor and a fine.
One day after that reduction in charges, plainclothes officers at a Hoboken, N.J., car wash smelled marijuana, suspecting a rolled cigar that Britt was holding to be the source of the smell. They wrestled Britt to the ground and handcuffed him, and they believe a man with Britt might have disposed of the cigar. Britt has a Sept. 20 court date to answer charges that include resisting arrest.