Giants DE Umenyiora out 3-4 weeks

2013 NFL draft order

Posted April 25, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

2013 NFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

2013 AFC free-agent moves, by team

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

Warmack, Cooper scouting reports

Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.

Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports

Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Te'o, Ogletree scouting reports

Posted April 10, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

Lotulelei, Werner scouting reports

Posted April 09, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

Joeckel, Long scouting reports

Posted April 08, 2013 @ 11:35 a.m.

2013 preseason schedule

Posted April 04, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.
Posted Aug. 19, 2011 @ 12:20 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Giants DE Osi Umenyiora will miss 3-4 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Friday morning, the team announced.

"It's a simple debridement," said Ronnie Barnes, the team's VP of medical services.

"Osi's feeling is he wants to get it cleaned up now because he is looking forward to playing this season, and he wants to (play) without the knee being an issue for him," GM Jerry Reese said. "He told me how much he really enjoyed being back on the field this week, and he's looking forward to getting back out there once he recovers from the procedure."

"It was better to do it now as opposed to midseason," Umenyiora said. "If I'm going to miss a little while, I would prefer it be now than at the crucial part of our season. It's the best decision for the team and myself."

Umenyiora reported to camp on Aug. 15 and decided to play the 2011 season without a new contract.

"No deal has been reworked. What has been offered has been unacceptable and shows they don't really respect the fact I sacrifice my health for the franchise," Umenyiora told The Associated Press on Monday. "I will play under my current deal because I love and respect my coaches, my teammates, the fans, and myself. Not for those incentives."

The two-time Pro Bowler started all 16 games last season and recorded 11½ sacks and 10 forced fumbles.

The way we see it

Umenyiora likely will miss the team's season opener, and maybe Week Two as well. He was a force last season, which followed a down20'09 campaign. Second-year DE Jason Pierre-Paul, who has had a great camp, will start and get more snaps with Umenyiora out.