Weddle hopes to re-sign with Chargers

Broncos sign former Chargers OG Vasquez

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:20 p.m.

San Diego Chargers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:30 p.m.

Chargers release veteran LB Spikes

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 10:30 a.m.

Redskins hire A.J. Smith as senior executive

Posted March 06, 2013 @ 11:06 a.m.

Chargers still confident in RB Mathews

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 3:25 p.m.

Chargers claim CB Patrick

Posted Feb. 20, 2013 @ 6:05 p.m.

Smith: NFLPA still concerned about Chargers doctor

Posted Feb. 11, 2013 @ 10:04 p.m.

Vikings will explore free-agent WR possibilities

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 9:54 p.m.

Chargers add three to coaching staff

Posted Jan. 22, 2013 @ 6:45 p.m.

Chargers retain Pagano as defensive coordinator

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 4:18 p.m.
Posted July 21, 2011 @ 3:50 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Free agency is likely to begin in the near future, and one of the most sought-after players is expected to be FS Eric Weddle. Several teams need secondary help, and coming off a fantastic season for San Diego, the demand for Weddle should be pretty high when the lockout ends.

However, Weddle told the San Diego Union-Tribune that he wants to remain with the Chargers, assuming a deal that is fair to both sides can be worked out. He's been training with many of his former teammates this summer, and he'd like to return to help the team push for the Super Bowl.

"My (Chargers) teammates will be my best buds forever," Weddle told the newspaper. "I've always said I want to be back in San Diego. We'll see if it's both ways. I think we know how they feel. But you never know until it's done."

Weddle finished with 96 tackles last season. He knows he'll be perused by plenty of teams that need help at safety.

"I'm sure something will get done quickly if it gets done (with the Chargers)," Weddle said. "If not, I'll see what's out there. I think a lot of teams out there will be interested in me. It will be an exciting few days, for sure."

The way we see it

Weddle is one of the Chargers' top priorities to re-sign, along with ILB Kevin Burnett, RT Jeromey Clary and WR Malcom Floyd. The team has invested a lot in the secondary already this offseason, signing SS Bob Sanders before the lockout began and drafting FS Marcus Gilchrist in the second round of the draft. Still, with Weddle saying he'd like to return and the team wanting him back, expect a deal between the two to happen.