NFL: Hall of Fame game has not been canceled

Posted July 16, 2011 @ 3:37 p.m.
Posted By PFW staff

The NFL refuted a report by the Chicago Sun-Times and said the Aug. 7 Hall of Fame game between the Bears and Rams is still scheduled to be played.

Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun-Times cited two sources Friday evening saying the game had already been canceled.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said that report was not true.

Joe Horrigan, the Hall of Fame's vice president of communications and exhibits, told NFL Network's Albert Breer that the Hall "had not heard it was canceled, so we contacted Greg Aiello through email ourselves, and he replied that (the Sun-Times report) was not true. Everything, as far as we know, is the same as it was."

Immense progress was made between the owners and players on Thursday and Friday, making a new labor deal all but a certainty this upcoming week, with owners likely ratifying the Collective Bargaining Agreement at their July 21 meeting in Atlanta.

In that timeline, training camp could open on July 28. Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz told The Associated Press last week that the Bears would need just one day to be ready for the game.

Horrigan said the 10-day Hall of Fame festival has an economic impact of $30 million on the region.

"We would lose a three-hour window of prime-time TV, with an audience of 10 million, to promote the Hall of Fame," Horrigan told Breer about the consequences of the game being canceled. "That's one area where we can annually promote the Hall."