Ravens FS Nakamura asks for support for Japan

Dolphins snag former Ravens LB Ellerbe

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:59 p.m.

Browns strike early, sign Kruger

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:23 p.m.

49ers acquire WR Boldin from Ravens

Posted March 11, 2013 @ 5:57 p.m.

Ravens, Flacco agree to new contract

Posted March 04, 2013 @ 12:28 p.m.

Baltimore Ravens: 2013 team needs

Posted March 03, 2013 @ 3:14 p.m.

Ravens' Jones joins 'Dancing With the Stars'

Posted Feb. 25, 2013 @ 3:28 p.m.

Ravens C Matt Birk retires after 15 seasons in NFL

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 3:44 p.m.

Ravens, Flacco's agent to meet in Indy

Posted Feb. 19, 2013 @ 6:39 p.m.

Eagles sign QB Dixon

Posted Feb. 14, 2013 @ 3:11 p.m.
Posted March 14, 2011 @ 4:20 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Ravens FS Haruki Nakamura is one of the few players in the league with Japanese ancestry. Following the events that took place last week in Japan, Nakamura released a statement to the National Football Post.com describing his emotions. He added to the website that he has confirmed that his family is safe.

"The tragic events surrounding the devastating earthquake and tsunami that occurred in Japan has triggered many emotions from people across the world.

The disaster has affected many people, including myself.

I am proud to be a Japanese-American, and honored to be one of few players in the NFL of Japanese heritage.

The aftermath of the earthquake has been felt by people of all nationalities. Those of us with family and friends over there have been frantically attempting to contact them to make sure they are alive. I'm lucky to say that my family and friends in Japan are safe!

Though I haven't suffered any loss of life in my family, others aren't so lucky. As the death toll continues to rise, the danger associated with the earthquake is equally as elevated.

In fact, the life-threatening situation continues to escalate every day. Radiation from the nuclear power plants that have been damaged has escaped and now hovers in the air. Aftershocks from the earthquake pose a constant threat while disrupting everything from public transportation to the ability to find clean water. I am not exaggerating when I say Japan is faced with a life-and-death situation.

I ask not as a professional football player, but for those who are in life and death situations in Japan, that you contact the American Red Cross (www.redcross.org), and see what you can do to help those in dire need. I would consider it a tremendous gesture of kindness if you can donate anything to help those who cannot help themselves survive this terrible disaster."

Sincerely,