Bucs TE Winslow says he's very content in Tampa

Dan Parr

dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor

Recent posts by Dan Parr

Kuechly wins PFW/PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:51 a.m.

CB Munnerlyn hoping to stay with Panthers

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 1:38 p.m.

Who is the Falcons' most underappreciated receiver?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 11:06 p.m.

Are White-Jones NFL's best WR tandem?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 12:12 p.m.

NFL investigating phone prank

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 4:57 p.m.

SS Moore is staying with the Falcons

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 9:36 a.m.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:45 p.m.

Buccaneers sign P Henry

Posted Feb. 13, 2013 @ 2:30 p.m.

Ranking the NFL divisions for 2013

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Report: Bucs hire Wannstedt to coach special teams

Posted Feb. 01, 2013 @ 5:41 p.m.

Buccaneers hire McNulty as QBs coach

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Panthers must tackle big defensive need inside

Posted Jan. 17, 2013 @ 6:39 p.m.

Bucs WR Jackson replaces Lions' Johnson in Pro Bowl

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 5:21 p.m.
Posted March 12, 2011 @ 4:11 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

While he waits for the owners and the players' professional trade association to settle their dispute, Buccaneers TE Kellen Winslow told PFW he is prepared financially for the lockout and is working to stay in shape.

Coming off two relatively healthy and productive seasons, Winslow, who is heading into his third season with the Bucs since being traded from the Browns, said this is the happiest he's been in his professional career.

"I mean, I had a great time in Cleveland," he said. "Had a great time with my teammates. We didn't win too much, but had some good relationships in Cleveland. Just overall happy — I'd have to say yeah. Everything is in the right position. Warm weather, great coach, no drama."

Following a surprising 10-win season, the bar is being raised for the Bucs this offseason. They didn't make the playoffs in 2010, but have plenty of young talent and will be expected to contend for a spot again in '11. Winslow said he's surprised by how quickly the fortunes have changed for the team, which went 3-13 in '09.

When he was dealt to Tampa Bay heading into the '09 season, it looked like Winslow was going to be part of a long-term rebuilding project and that wins could be in short supply.

"I knew we had the right guy leading us (at head coach), but I just knew we were really young," Winslow said. "For us to do what we're doing — it's pretty amazing with how young we are. (My teammates) made me a believer. I didn't know at first. I didn't know how good we could be."

The 27-year-old has undergone several surgeries on his right knee since he was involved in a motorcycle accident in '05 and his practice time in training camp and during the season has been limited by head coach Raheem Morris to give him time to rest and recover.

Winslow said his offseason workout regimen has also changed over the years, and that it currently consists of running, cycling and playing basketball.

"I've gotten a lot smarter," he said. "I just used to do anything I could because I wanted everything right now. I would already be running routes right now and be lifting a lot of weights."

Winslow, who is heading into his eighth season, has led Tampa Bay in receptions in each of the past two seasons, making 77 catches in '09 and 66 in '10.

Follow Dan Parr on Twitter