Pro Football weekly

Comment | Print |

ILB decision could shape Chargers' offseason plans

About the Author

Recent posts by Michael Blunda

Player-organized workouts a serious gamble

Posted March 29, 2011 @ 9:31 a.m.

Chargers have reason to celebrate kickoff changes

Posted March 24, 2011 @ 10:19 p.m.

Extended lockout could set back Cassel, K.C. offense

Posted March 16, 2011 @ 2:03 p.m.

Pioli credits past drafts for Chiefs' success

Posted March 04, 2011 @ 5:43 p.m.

Related Stories

Broncos sign former Chargers OG Vasquez

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:20 p.m.

Chiefs add CB Robinson

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 8:58 a.m.

San Diego Chargers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:30 p.m.

Chargers release veteran LB Spikes

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 10:30 a.m.

Redskins hire A.J. Smith as senior executive

Posted March 06, 2013 @ 11:06 a.m.

Chargers still confident in RB Mathews

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 3:25 p.m.

Chargers claim CB Patrick

Posted Feb. 20, 2013 @ 6:05 p.m.

Smith: NFLPA still concerned about Chargers doctor

Posted Feb. 11, 2013 @ 10:04 p.m.

Raiders giving Pryor big opportunity in 2013

Posted Jan. 24, 2013 @ 12:18 p.m.

Chargers add three to coaching staff

Posted Jan. 22, 2013 @ 6:45 p.m.
Posted March 09, 2011 @ 11:23 p.m. ET
By Michael Blunda

When the offseason began for the Chargers, they knew it would be nearly impossible to retain all their key free agents, especially since they had a laundry list of big names with expiring contracts. Now it is becoming more and more clear which direction the team is likely to go with some of its top players eligible to hit the open market.

ILB Stephen Cooper, who has spent his entire eight-year career in San Diego after signing as an undrafted free agent from Maine, recently said that he does not anticipate being a Charger in 2011.

"I think I'm going to have an opportunity to test the market," said Cooper, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The way we hear it, this is not a surprise considering the club's circumstances. While the 31-year-old Cooper has been a staple of the Bolts' defense since 2007, he is coming off an average season in which he missed four games due to injury and finished with just 43 tackles. He also plays a position in which the team has another significant name, Kevin Burnett, scheduled to hit free agency, as well. While the Chargers will miss the veteran in the middle of their "D," they already know they won't be able to match the offers from other suitors. It wouldn't be a shock if his former coordinator, Ron Rivera, tries to bring him to Carolina.

Meanwhile, we hear the Chargers' willingness to let Cooper walk means they will make a major push to re-sign Burnett, who is fresh off a career campaign in which he had 95 tackles, six sacks and two interceptions. Younger than his fellow inside 'backer at age 28, Burnett likely has more productive seasons ahead of him and is a very versatile presence. His price tag will almost certainly be hefty, but GM A.J. Smith appears eager to keep the UFA in San Diego for the long haul.

The Bolts have some options to replace Cooper, but the most intriguing one is Donald Butler, a third-round pick last year who missed the entire season with a torn Achilles tendon. The club loved Butler's potential coming out of Washington and is expected to give him every chance to win the starting job, though the potential cancellation of offseason activities would mean he'd basically be starting from scratch whenever training camp begins.

Comments ()


ABOUT TRUST ONLINE