Although the Chargers placed the franchise tag on WR Vincent Jackson earlier in the week, GM A.J. Smith said Friday he had no plan to negotiate a long-term contract with the mercurial receiver.
"Vincent's a good player, and he's always been a good player, which I've said repeatedly," Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I'm comfortable with not giving him a long-term deal right now, and we are not negotiating a long-term deal. We'll see how the year goes, but not at the present time."
Jackson has twice been arrested for driving under the influence and was cited for driving with a suspended license and expired tags on the morning of San Diego's playoff defeat to the Jets in January 2010.
When Jackson's demands for a long-term contract were not met last offseason, he refused to sign a one-year, $3.268 million tender as a restricted free agent. When he failed to sign the tender by June 15, the Chargers reduced its offer to $583,000, or 110 percent of his 2009 salary.
Jackson held out for the first seven games of 2010 before reporting in time to serve a three-game suspension as a result of having been placed on the roster-exempt reserve list before the start of the season. He played in the final six games, catching 14 passes for 248 yards and three touchdowns and earning an accrued season toward free agency.
With WR Malcom Floyd becoming a free agent next month and WR Legedu Naanee having been arrested last Saturday for public intoxication and resisting arrest, the Chargers' WR corps for next season is very uncertain.