McCarthy, Rodgers look back, contemplate repeating

Dan Parr

dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor

Recent posts by Dan Parr

Kuechly wins PFW/PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:51 a.m.

CB Munnerlyn hoping to stay with Panthers

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 1:38 p.m.

Who is the Falcons' most underappreciated receiver?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 11:06 p.m.

Are White-Jones NFL's best WR tandem?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 12:12 p.m.

Green Bay Packers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 4:32 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Packers release C Jeff Saturday

Posted Feb. 18, 2013 @ 7:34 p.m.

Packers announce release of DB Woodson

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Packers WR Donald Driver calls it a career

Posted Feb. 06, 2013 @ 8:01 p.m.

Packers WR Driver retires after 14 seasons

Posted Jan. 31, 2013 @ 9:54 a.m.

14-year veteran C Saturday to retire

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 2:56 p.m.

Packers QB to skip Pro Bowl because of injuries

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 5:33 p.m.

Chiefs hire Packers' Dorsey as GM

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 1:37 a.m.
Posted Feb. 07, 2011 @ 11:42 a.m. ET
By Dan Parr

DALLAS — The morning after the Packers' Super Bowl win over the Steelers, head coach Mike McCarthy and QB Aaron Rodgers were operating on short sleep as they reflected on what they had accomplished less than a day ago and also looked forward at a press conference.

McCarthy, who consulted with the last Super Bowl-winning head coach, the Saints' Sean Payton, heading into Sunday's game, was asked whether he followed Payton's lead when it came celebrating the title by sleeping with the Lombardi Trophy.

"My wife's too good-looking to not sleep with her," McCarthy said. "I didn't sleep with the trophy. (Packers director of corporate security/risk management), Doug Collins, had the trophy. I don't know if he slept with it."

Rodgers was handed the keys to a new Chevy Camaro convertible — a prize that goes to the MVP of the Super Bowl (Rodgers received 17½ of the 20 votes for the award). He's thrived as an underdog throughout his life, dating all the way back to his first summer out of high school, when no Division I school offered him a scholarship.

How is he going to handle being on top?

"I guess I ran out of motivation, huh?" he said. "You know what, I'm always looking for challenges. I think the challenge now goes to repeating, scrutinizing this season, finding ways to get better. Being a perfectionist, and having a quarterbacks coach (Tom Clements) who is as well, there's going to be plenty of time to work on things and plenty of things to work on.

"I'm excited about enjoying this, but also looking forward to improving."

The experience was still too new for McCarthy to say whether he believes his life had changed overnight.

"I think waking up tomorrow will be the first real experience of getting a good night's sleep and stepping into my new life," he said. "This is tough duty, answering this bell right now."