Jets coach Alosi resigns

Jets sign QB Garrard

Posted March 11, 2013 @ 7:57 p.m.

New York Jets: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:25 p.m.

Jets' Idzik, Ryan address Revis rumors

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 5:56 p.m.

LBs Scott, Pace among Jets' cuts

Posted Feb. 19, 2013 @ 2:54 p.m.

Jets announce coaching changes

Posted Feb. 05, 2013 @ 2:44 p.m.

Bengals sign OLB Maybin

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 1:04 p.m.

Idzik introduced as Jets' new GM

Posted Jan. 24, 2013 @ 3:11 p.m.

Raiders hire Sparano

Posted Jan. 23, 2013 @ 6:04 p.m.
Posted Feb. 01, 2011 @ 10:19 a.m. ET
By PFW staff

Sal Alosi, the strength and conditioning coach for the Jets who made headlines in Week 14 for tripping Dolphins CB Nolan Carroll, resigned on Monday, according to Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"After speaking with Sal, he decided that it is best for him to tender his resignation at this time," said Tannenbaum. "We appreciate all of Sal's contributions during his tenure with the team. He played an invaluable role in our success and established what we feel is one of the better strength and conditioning programs in the NFL."

The team's strength coach since 2007, Alosi had been a nearly anonymous member of the Jets' staff until his incident on Dec. 12. With Carroll running down the Jets' sideline to cover a punt, Alosi stuck out his knee and tripped the Dolphins player. He was suspended indefinitely following the game.

"I'm thankful to have been a part of the New York Jets," Alosi said in a statement. "I am especially grateful to (Jets owner Woody) Mr. Johnson, Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan for allowing me the opportunity to be a head strength and conditioning coach in this league. I have many fond memories, including earning my first NFL job in 2002. After the events that have transpired, I feel it's best for my family and me to look for a fresh start. I wish nothing but the best for the entire organization."

The way we see it

It was only a matter of time before this news became official, as it was highly unlikely that the Jets would retain Alosi for the offseason. What the coach did was foolish and dangerous, and though he has expressed regret, it was the best choice for the team to part ways with him.