Texans announce Kubiak stays, defense changes

Houston Texans: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 2:20 p.m.

Baker to lead Houston's Super Bowl bid

Posted Feb. 25, 2013 @ 3:35 p.m.

Texans want Barwin back despite disappointing 2012

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 2:55 p.m.

Texans RB Foster has not talked surgery

Posted Feb. 01, 2013 @ 1:20 p.m.

Rams will not hire Rob Ryan

Posted Jan. 29, 2013 @ 12:07 p.m.

Foster: Don't expect 100 percent play at Pro Bowl

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 9:29 p.m.

Texans won't rule out drafting QB

Posted Jan. 16, 2013 @ 2:53 p.m.

Watt named PFW/PFWA Defensive Player of the Year

Posted Jan. 16, 2013 @ 11:20 a.m.

Texans WR Posey tears Achilles tendon

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 9:29 p.m.

Patriots beat Texans, Ravens up next

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 8:28 p.m.
Posted Jan. 03, 2011 @ 4:39 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The Texans have announced that head coach Gary Kubiak will be retained for a sixth season in Houston, but his coaching staff will have a different look in 2011.

Defensive coordinator Frank Bush, DBs coach David Gibbs, LBs coach Johnny Holland and assistant LBs coach Robert Saleh have all been let go by the team, which finished 30th in yards allowed per game and 29th in points allowed per game in 2010. The Texans started the season by winning three of their first four games before stumbling badly and finishing with a 6-10 record.

"It's a tough day, really, to be honest with you," Kubiak said in a statement released by the team. "That's a very positive thing for me and I'm excited about that. I probably don't show much excitement right now because of some of the other things I've had to deal with today. I appreciate Bob's confidence in me. We've had some great conversations over the past few weeks. As I told y'all the day before, I wanted to digest those conversations. I wanted to enjoy coaching the football team last week with the coaches and players and finish the season the right way. We visited today and decided on a new direction and obviously him giving me a chance to move us in that direction. I'm very thankful for that. I appreciate that, but I know I have a lot of work to do and have got some problems to fix and we're working forward to doing that."

Kubiak and owner Bob McNair believe the team is set on offense, but the defense needs a major revamping. One person who is expected to be considered for the defensive coordinator position is former Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips.

The way we see it

The coaching-staff changes on defense do not come as a surprise. The defense regressed badly this season, with the pass defense particularly porous. Kubiak indicated the team will immediately start searching for Bush's successor. "We have to get started tonight," he said, according to the team's official Twitter feed.