Fantasy Doc: Fitz vs. Britt in Week 15

Recent posts by The Fantasy Doctor

Fantasy Doctor: Turner a safe, smart play

Posted Dec. 19, 2012 @ 2:02 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Lean on Bucs as stretch drive begins

Posted Dec. 05, 2012 @ 4:55 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Patriots' defense is on a roll

Posted Nov. 28, 2012 @ 4:49 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Turner a safe, smart play

Posted Dec. 19, 2012 @ 2:02 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Lean on Bucs as stretch drive begins

Posted Dec. 05, 2012 @ 4:55 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Patriots' defense is on a roll

Posted Nov. 28, 2012 @ 4:49 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Trade Gronkowski for Calvin Johnson?

Posted Nov. 14, 2012 @ 12:07 p.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Trade Leshoure for Flacco?

Posted Nov. 07, 2012 @ 11:05 a.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Trading Foster loaded with risk

Posted Oct. 31, 2012 @ 10:40 a.m.

Fantasy Doctor: Schedule points to Palmer as pickup

Posted Oct. 17, 2012 @ 3:07 p.m.
Posted Dec. 15, 2010 @ 9:56 a.m. ET
By The Fantasy Doctor

Now that the fantasy playoffs are here, the Fantasy Doctor will be making regular house calls, answering readers' fantasy questions each Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Send your questions to the Doc at fantasydoctor@pfwmedia.com.

I'm in the second round of my playoffs. Winner goes to the big game. I have a WR question and need some advice. I've gone with Larry Fitzgerald all year, and while not spectacular, he's done OK. He has the Panthers this week, who actually aren't bad against the pass, and of course there is still the QB issue. Meanwhile, I have Kenny Britt, who I picked up a few weeks ago and is going up against the Texans. Britt didn't exactly light it up last week, but the Texans are bad against the pass. So do I sit Fitzgerald for Britt, or do I go with the guy who helped bring me to this point? Thank you.

— Scott B., Joliet, Ill.

Wow, this is not a decision I would want to be faced with this week, Scott. However, I can try to help you through it.

While Fitzgerald was formerly one of the top fantasy receivers out there, Arizona's QB situation has zapped him of virtually all his big-game ability this season. He has just five TDs all year (and only one in his last six games) and has eclipsed the 100-yard mark on only one occasion. Yes, his chances of putting up a complete dud are slim, but with rookie John Skelton at QB, Fitzgerald's likelihood for a monster effort is small. And as you mentioned, Carolina actually has a decent secondary. This situation doesn't excite me as a fantasy owner.

On the other hand you have Britt, whose situation is similar in some ways but different in others. He also has had to deal with QB issues, but he has actually shown the ability to put up monster numbers at times in 2010. Nobody will forget the 7-225-3 game he had vs. the Eagles or his five-game scoring streak earlier in the year. However, he just came back from a hamstring injury last week after missing five games and had only 4-39-0.

That said, Britt showed enough in that game that I would gamble on him this week against a Houston secondary that has allowed 29 TD passes this season. He's risky, but I'd rather take a chance on greatness than start a guy who has been mediocre all year.

In a non-PPR league, I have three RBs poised for great games: They are Knowshon Moreno, Felix Jones and Jonathan Stewart. I can only start one. Who should it be? Thanks.

— Ryan

Well, Ryan, all three of those backs definitely could be in for huge weeks. However, one sticks out to me.

Considering how well he has played lately and his opponent this week, my choice would be Stewart. Since returning from injury, J-Stew has run for 323 yards and a TD in his last three games. Now he gets to face a Cardinals run defense that's one of the league's worst, allowing 143.3 yards per game and 16 TDs on the season. I see Stewart running all over Arizona this week to continue his fantasy tear.

Had it been a PPR league, I might have gone with Moreno, who also has been off the charts lately as both a runner and pass catcher and has a favorable matchup against the Raiders. In most leagues, he'd be worth a start this week. That probably holds true for Jones, as well, who goes up against a Redskins "D" giving up 4.9 yards per carry. I like all of your RBs, but Stewart is the best of the bunch in Week 15.