Peterson to undergo MRI for ankle injury

Vikings trade Harvin to Seahawks

Posted March 11, 2013 @ 1:44 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 5:46 p.m.

Vikings release WR Jenkins

Posted March 05, 2013 @ 1:05 p.m.

Frazier: Harvin excited about being a Viking

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 10:57 a.m.

Vikings GM: No intent to trade Harvin

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 12:11 p.m.

Vikings to play two cold seasons in outdoor stadium

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 2:33 p.m.

Carter thanks Vikings for help through drug issues

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 10:48 a.m.
Posted Nov. 29, 2010 @ 4 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The Vikings don't yet know the results of the MRI on RB Adrian Peterson's ankle, which he injured in Sunday's win over the Redskins.

Peterson left in the second quarter and didn't return after limping off the field.

Peterson told ESPN 1500 Twin Cities that he wanted to continue playing, but the pain was too much to play through.

"Trust me, if I could have went, I would have been out there. But it was just unbearable."

Interim head coach Leslie Frazier, who earned his first victory Sunday, said Monday that they would know more about the injury later in the week, certainly by Wednesday.

"We're going through that process now," Frazier said.

The team turned to rookie RB Toby Gerhart, who rushed 22 times for 76 yards and a five-yard TD. Frazier said the team will look for a way to manage Peterson's ankle if it remains a problem.

"We had a little bit of that yesterday," Frazier said. "He wanted to get back in the game, he was coming up to me, of course I don’t know, I’m keeping up with what’s happening on the field and what’s going on there, and I have our trainer to fill me in on where he was. They just said, ‘Nope, lets hold him.’ That’s what I will do again. I will defer to our trainers, and they will tell me when he’s ready to go."

Frazier didn't rule out the team adding another running back once Peterson's results were known.

The way we see it

Peterson is one of the league's toughest running backs, so until he is officially ruled out, expect him to be in the Vikings' backfield. Gerhart has shown flashes of skill this season but is obviously a major step back for Minnesota.

Fantasy Spin

If you have Peterson on your roster, you may want to pick up Gerhart for insurance. The Bills have the league's worst run defense, so whomever starts for Minnesota in Week 13 should see plenty of opportunities to make big plays.