The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity:
• "(Bills head coach) Chan Gailey is a very good offensive coordinator. If you remember, he was moving the ball with Tyler Thigpen in Kansas City. They were scoring 28-plus points per game. The guy knows how to move the ball. And to his credit, he has been doing it (in Buffalo) without a tight end. He's a great schemer. The part I don't understand is why they decided to switch their "40" front (on defense). Whoever made that decision made a bad call. They did not have the personnel to make the move."
• "(Cowboys WR) Dez Bryant has been late to meetings and falling asleep in them and nothing was done about it. There was zero accountability under Wade (Phillips). ... (Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones has as much debt as anyone in the NFL and he finished the first half of the season 1-7. He had no choice but to make a change. … I would say it was a year overdue."
• "(Bengals CB) Leon Hall has been playing at a high level. He is the one player on Cincinnati who has really been playing well. … Their linebackers are too technically unsound. Watch and count how many times (Rey) Maualuga runs into his own guy. He has no idea. … There is a lot of talent on that roster. But I don't know if they have enough brains. Look at how many times they beat themselves, starting with Carson Palmer. I've never seen a quarterback miss so many open receivers."
• "The guards are the weak link on Tennessee's offensive line."
• "Believe or not, (Seattle DL) Kentwan Balmer plays pretty well over the guard. (Chris) Clemons has been very good as the weak-side end. They are lining him up as the seven-technique and just turning him loose. He can rush the passer. (Seahawks defensive coordinator) Gus Bradley is doing a good job using their personnel."
• "(Lions S Louis) Delmas is the second coming of Brian Dawkins. He brings a presence to the secondary. He can run and cover and he will hit you."
• "The 49ers should not be 3-6 with their personnel. They do have a lot of rookies playing right now, but the Patriots have shown you can overhaul your roster and still win. Look at how young they are."
• "For how terrible he is, (Lions OLT Jeff) Backus has made a lot of money. They have been sliding the guard and the center to him and he is still getting beat outside. He needs (TE Brandon) Pettigrew on his outside shoulder to have a chance. There's a reason Matthew Stafford has never been hurt so much. They have left Stafford exposed for two years. They had holes to plug everywhere, and they have filled a lot of them, but if they don't upgrade the position this year, they are kidding themselves."
• "The big question on the Cowboys' offensive line coming into the season was (OLT) Doug Free. He has played the best of all of their (offensive linemen)."
• "It has taken a few years, but (Rams DE) Chris Long is really coming on. He's not at a Pro Bowl level yet, but he is pretty good. He may never be great, but he plays his butt off, and his big plays come from hustle. It's easy to see why the coaches like him."
• "The Vikings' offensive line has been terrible. (ORT Phil) Loadholt is not blocking his own shadow. (C John) Sullivan has been getting driven into the backfield. Even (Steve) Hutchinson is getting old. (OLT Bryant) McKinnie is good for a few dumb penalties every game. (Adrian) Peterson is getting drilled a few yards deep in the backfield before he touches the ball."