Defenses showing Bucs’ Williams more respect

Dan Parr

dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor

Recent posts by Dan Parr

Kuechly wins PFW/PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:51 a.m.

CB Munnerlyn hoping to stay with Panthers

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 1:38 p.m.

Who is the Falcons' most underappreciated receiver?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 11:06 p.m.

Are White-Jones NFL's best WR tandem?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 12:12 p.m.

NFL investigating phone prank

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 4:57 p.m.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:45 p.m.

Buccaneers sign P Henry

Posted Feb. 13, 2013 @ 2:30 p.m.

Ranking the NFL divisions for 2013

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Report: Bucs hire Wannstedt to coach special teams

Posted Feb. 01, 2013 @ 5:41 p.m.

Buccaneers hire McNulty as QBs coach

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Bucs WR Jackson replaces Lions' Johnson in Pro Bowl

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 5:21 p.m.

Pressure will be turned up on Bucs QB Freeman

Posted Jan. 04, 2013 @ 3:35 p.m.
Posted Nov. 12, 2010 @ 4:07 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

After falling to the Buccaneers in the fourth round of this year's draft due to character concerns, Mike Williams ascended to the top of the team's depth chart in training camp and filled one of Tampa Bay's biggest needs at wide receiver.

Williams, who has 36 catches for 559 yards and five touchdowns, quickly became a favorite target for QB Josh Freeman and is being mentioned as a potential Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate. It could be tough for him to keep producing at the same rate in the second half of the season, however, as Williams told PFW that defenses are starting to play him differently.

"I've been getting a couple of double-teams on third downs," he said in a Nov. 11 interview. "Coverages rotating to my side, I've been seeing that a lot. My coach kind of pointed out to me that they're starting to respect me now."

As much as Williams likes facing single coverage, he said it would be fine with him if defenses continue focusing on taking him away. He said he trusts that his fellow receivers will step up and make plays if he's blanketed by defenders.

"I kind of like it now because, they don't really know, but we still got Kellen Winslow on the team. Micheal Spurlock's coming along and (we have) Sammie Stroughter and Arrelious Benn. We've got guys who can get open and beat one-on-one coverages.

"I kind of like seeing them getting a catch and (I wonder) how the (defense will) react to me after they start getting catches."

There were doubts about Williams' maturity following multiple incidents during his career at Syracuse, but there are no indications that those problems have followed him into the NFL. He said he has had to grow up in a hurry, and credited Freeman for being the biggest reason for his early success.

"To be honest with you, Josh Freeman is really the key," he said. "He makes it so easy. You get all the pressure of coming in here and playing as a rookie and all that. Everybody telling me 'You can't play.' You get all that pressure on you.

"Josh always says 'Hey, just go out and play.' He makes the game fun."

As Williams and Freeman continue to develop, the connection between the two could prove to be difficult for opponents to interfere with for years to come.