Packers’ Matthews featured in exclusive pregame interview

Green Bay Packers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 4:32 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Packers release C Jeff Saturday

Posted Feb. 18, 2013 @ 7:34 p.m.

Packers announce release of DB Woodson

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Vikings should keep Harvin ... for now

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 5:42 p.m.

Packers WR Donald Driver calls it a career

Posted Feb. 06, 2013 @ 8:01 p.m.

Packers WR Driver retires after 14 seasons

Posted Jan. 31, 2013 @ 9:54 a.m.

Vikings will explore free-agent WR possibilities

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 9:54 p.m.

14-year veteran C Saturday to retire

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 2:56 p.m.
Posted Nov. 07, 2010 @ 3:20 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Packers defensive MVP candidate Clay Matthews will be featured before Sunday night’s nationally televised Green Bay-Dallas game in an exclusive "Football Night in America” interview with NBC commentator Bob Costas.

What follows are a few excerpts from the interview:

On whether there was any doubt he would be a pro football player based on his pedigree?

Matthews: “There was no doubt at all. Perhaps I was crazy to think that growing up, being a skinny kid with not a whole lot of hope to play football. It’s just the path I chose. I’ve stayed determined and fortunately I’ve made it this far.”

On his family critiquing his performance:

Matthews: ”All the time. If you’re in the Matthews family, it’s tough growing up. They’ll let you know what you’re doing right and doing wrong. In fact, I work with my father in the off-season on pass-rush moves and becoming an overall better player. They’re very instrumental. I’m going to keep looking at them for guidance.”

On if his long hair ever gets in the way:

Matthews: “Especially for me, I’m always fighting with tight ends and tackles and what not trying to get to the quarterback. I’m always having my hair grabbed, whether it’s on purpose or not. It gets in the way a few times but I’ll take it because I think it looks alright (smiles).”

On a hair endorsement deal:

Matthews: “I don’t have anything right now. It’s unfortunate. I’ve been throwing it out there. I’ve just been getting shunned. I don’t know what it is. I need to talk to Troy and see if I can join that campaign. America, I’m looking for a hair deal. Let me know.”