They said it: Browns Tuesday edition

Browns strike early, sign Kruger

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:23 p.m.

Cleveland Browns: 2013 team needs

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 1 p.m.

Browns hire Farmer as assistant GM

Posted March 06, 2013 @ 11:01 a.m.

Chudzinski offers little on Browns' QB situation

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 11:22 a.m.

Browns owner back as CEO with family business

Posted Feb. 11, 2013 @ 9:55 p.m.

Report: Eagles peg Davis as defensive coordinator

Posted Feb. 07, 2013 @ 11:40 a.m.

Browns release DE Rucker

Posted Feb. 05, 2013 @ 4:39 p.m.

Browns hire three assistants

Posted Jan. 22, 2013 @ 6:48 p.m.

Browns hire Horton as defensive coordinator

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 4:26 p.m.
Posted Oct. 05, 2010 @ 9:43 a.m. ET
By PFW staff

Here's a round-up of quotes from Eric Mangini's Monday press conference. All quotes are taken from transcripts provided by the Browns:

Mangini on whether he thought rookie S T.J. Ward's personal-foul penalty on a shoulder-to-helmet hit on Bengals WR Jordan Shipley was a cheap shot: "Well, he got penalized for it and it cost us a touchdown, so I think don't think he got away with anything. I want us to be tough, I want us to be physical, but I want us to play within the framework of the rules, and that penalty gave them a new set of downs, (the Bengals) end up scoring a touchdown instead of kicking a field goal, and they call those penalties tight and they should call those penalties tight against defenseless receivers. It cost Cincinnati too when they hit (TE) Ben Watson at the end of the half and that led to a field goal. In talking to T.J., one of the things I'm going to stress is, I don't want him to change his aggressiveness, but we're going to operate within the boundary of the rules. That's my expectation: You like physical play, but you can't put the team in that situation where you're giving them a new set of downs. It's not good, and I don't want to see our guys hitting guys in the head when they're defenseless. We can be just as tough and do it in the framework of how it's supposed to be."

More from Mangini on Ward: "T.J. isn't a dirty guy. He's not a dirty guy. He's a young guy. He's an aggressive guy and he's an inexperienced guy, but he's not a dirty guy. He's a good person, he's a good kid. I'm not going to try to take anything off of the way that he plays because I think it's a real strength, but there are things he will learn to do it even better within the framework of what we all have to play with."

Mangini on QB Jake Delhomme's playing status for Week Five vs. Atlanta: "He should practice on Wednesday. I felt like we had a really good chance this week, I think those odds just go up. Wednesday, I want to see with a bigger load how it responds. That's where we are on Monday and hopefully we will be saying the same thing on Thursday."

Mangini on Seneca Wallace, who has started the last three games in place of Delhomme (ankle): "He's gotten, to me, more and more comfortable running the offense. I don't want anybody to think that by putting Jake in, this is some knock on Seneca. I think Seneca has done a great job. He's gone out and he's played well, and he's played well against really tough defenses. I have no problem with him starting or playing. The way that he's played, we have been able to decrease the amount of turnovers the last couple of games. He's done a really outstanding job in a pretty tough situation, coming in after Game One and having a three-game run, potentially a three-game run."

Mangini on whether the team was nervous when it was up only three points in the fourth quarter: "I got the sense that guys were getting angry like, 'We are not going to let this happen again, it is not happening again.' There was an absolute sense across the sidelines of no, no, it's done. You can look in people's eyes and know what the mindset is. I was looking across at a bunch of guys that were determined, and that's not to say they weren't prior to that, but that's how these guys are built. When you go to that whole core characteristic, when I talk about those things, the competitive concept that's it. It doesn't matter what you're doing, you want to win and let the other guy go have a lousy Sunday."