Chargers SS Gregory suspended four games

Broncos sign former Chargers OG Vasquez

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:20 p.m.

San Diego Chargers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:30 p.m.

Chargers release veteran LB Spikes

Posted March 07, 2013 @ 10:30 a.m.

Redskins hire A.J. Smith as senior executive

Posted March 06, 2013 @ 11:06 a.m.

Chargers still confident in RB Mathews

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 3:25 p.m.

Chargers claim CB Patrick

Posted Feb. 20, 2013 @ 6:05 p.m.

Smith: NFLPA still concerned about Chargers doctor

Posted Feb. 11, 2013 @ 10:04 p.m.

Chargers add three to coaching staff

Posted Jan. 22, 2013 @ 6:45 p.m.

Chargers retain Pagano as defensive coordinator

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 4:18 p.m.

Whisenhunt hired as Chargers' offensive coordinator

Posted Jan. 17, 2013 @ 6:01 p.m.
Posted Oct. 04, 2010 @ 2:50 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Chargers SS Steve Gregory has been suspended for four games following a positive drug test for a banned substance, the team announced Monday. The news was first reported in an article in the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to the article, Gregory tested positive in May, but the information was not made public while he appealed. It is unknown if the player tested positive for an illegal narcotic or a performance-enhancing drug. He will not be able to practice with the team through Nov. 1 and will next be able to play in the Chargers' Week Nine game on Nov. 7 vs. the Texans.

Gregory issued a statement on the Chargers' Web site:

"I was completely shocked to find out about this positive test from May during the off-season. I have never knowingly used any form of performance enhancing substance, however as an athlete I know that I am responsible for everything that goes into my body. I appealed these test results, and through this process I was disappointed to learn today that I am going to be suspended for the next four games. It is tremendously upsetting to me, but I fully respect and support the NFL's policies. I will take this as a learning experience and come back stronger and as committed as ever. I apologize to my teammates, coaches, the organization, fans, and my family and friends. I look forward to moving past this and helping my team win a championship this year."

The way we see it

Gregory, a fifth-year veteran, has been playing well for the Chargers in 2010. He is leading the team with 30 tackles and had an interception in Week Four's blowout win over the Cardinals. Paul Oliver is expected to start in his absence.