Patriots WR Edelman reacts to first game back

New England Patriots: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 5:58 p.m.

With Brady deal, Pats again a step ahead

Posted Feb. 26, 2013 @ 11:38 a.m.

Patriots sign Brady to extension through 2017

Posted Feb. 26, 2013 @ 10:42 a.m.

Report: Patriots OT Vollmer has knee scope

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 10:09 a.m.

Patriots sign former CFL DL Vega

Posted Feb. 19, 2013 @ 11:07 a.m.

Redskins sign DT Brace

Posted Feb. 14, 2013 @ 10:54 a.m.

Insider: Time is catching up to Brady

Posted Jan. 27, 2013 @ 11:46 a.m.

NFL: Brady fined $10K for 'aggressive slide'

Posted Jan. 23, 2013 @ 9:30 p.m.

NFL looking into Brady's slide vs. Ravens

Posted Jan. 22, 2013 @ 6:05 p.m.
Posted Sept. 20, 2010 @ 9:58 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

After he had an extremely productive game in the preseason opener for the Patriots, people talked about WR Julian Edelman as though he were the next Wes Welker. Edelman had six catches for 90 yards as Welker sat out the first preseason game against the Saints. But Edelman did not return to the field until Sunday's Week Two regular-season loss to the Jets.

Edelman had been out battling a foot injury. In his return, Edelman had one catch for six yards and two punt returns for 26 yards. The college quarterback even lined up in the backfield before being motioned out on a play in the first quarter, showing his versatility.

"It felt good to get out there and get that first game under my belt," he said Monday. "Now, I have to build off that and get the confidence going and watch the film."

The Patriots would like to use Edelman in a variety of roles in their explosive offense. "I enjoy whatever they let me do. I'm going to do whatever the coaches tell me to do. I'm going to prepare myself, take in their coaching and do whatever I can to contribute to the team and get on the field."

The way we see it

It was a welcome sight for Patriots fans to see Edelman back and healthy. They saw glimpses of his potential in that preseason game, and he provides yet another weapon for QB Tom Brady. With a healthy Brandon Tate and Welker, in addition to three quality tight ends, Brady has seven legitimate weapons, and that's not even counting the running backs. It'll be interesting to see if the Patriots dig into their bag of tricks at all this season with Edelman because of his versatility.