Jets owner to underwrite new media policy

Posted Sept. 17, 2010 @ 6:10 p.m.
Posted By PFW staff

The Jets and TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz sparked a leaguewide firestorm over the past week after it was reported the team treated the journalist inappropriately when she attended a practice last week. On Friday, the league issued a statement announcing a resolution to the issue.

Jets owner Woody Johnson will underwrite a new program that will educate rookie players on how to "deal professionally with news media and others in the workplace." The program will be enforced to all 32 teams and will supplement the league's current policy on meeting with reporters.

Johnson issued a statement which said, "We've learned from what happened last Saturday, and have reaffirmed our commitment to treat all members of the media with professionalism and respect. The commissioner has developed a constructive approach that emphasizes education and awareness. I believe what emerges will improve the working relationship between all media and the NFL."

The Jets will not be punished by the league for their actions. Commissioner Roger Goodell added that Johnson's resolution is a positive step for the league.

"I believe this is the most constructive approach," Goodell said. "There is no debate about the longstanding equal access rule of our media policy. The issue for us, like all organizations, is proper conduct in the workplace, whether it is dealing with the media, co-workers, fans, or others. It is our responsibility to provide a professional setting for members of the news media and other business associates that work with our teams and the league."