Brady, Kraft speak on contract extension

New England Patriots: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 5:58 p.m.

With Brady deal, Pats again a step ahead

Posted Feb. 26, 2013 @ 11:38 a.m.

Patriots sign Brady to extension through 2017

Posted Feb. 26, 2013 @ 10:42 a.m.

Report: Patriots OT Vollmer has knee scope

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 10:09 a.m.

Patriots sign former CFL DL Vega

Posted Feb. 19, 2013 @ 11:07 a.m.

Redskins sign DT Brace

Posted Feb. 14, 2013 @ 10:54 a.m.

Insider: Time is catching up to Brady

Posted Jan. 27, 2013 @ 11:46 a.m.

NFL: Brady fined $10K for 'aggressive slide'

Posted Jan. 23, 2013 @ 9:30 p.m.

NFL looking into Brady's slide vs. Ravens

Posted Jan. 22, 2013 @ 6:05 p.m.
Posted Sept. 11, 2010 @ 3:21 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

A day after finalizing a four-year, $72 million contract extension that made Tom Brady the highest-paid player in the NFL, both the quarterback and Patriots chairman and CEO Robert Kraft released statements on Saturday expressing their pleasure in completing the deal.

Brady said, "I have never been comfortable talking about my contract and certainly didn't want discussions of my contract negotiations to serve as a distraction to any of my teammates as we have been preparing for the Cincinnati Bengals and the start of the 2010 season. However, I do want to express my appreciation to Mr. (Robert) Kraft and Jonathan Kraft for extending my opportunity to play for the New England Patriots. I am grateful for all that the Kraft family has done for me, both personally and professionally, and for all they have done for my family. Not only have I had the good fortune of playing for just one franchise, I have also played for the greatest head coach and with some of the best teammates a player could ever ask for. My teammates, both past and present, are the main reason why we have accomplished so much over the years. I love playing in New England and appreciate all the support that our fans give us. I look forward to tomorrow's game and the start of another exciting season."

In his statement Kraft said, "We have been very fortunate to have Tom Brady as the quarterback of the New England Patriots for the past decade. I am glad that this contract extension will allow his tenure to continue well into the next decade. Tom has been a terrific representative for the Patriots and a great leader for this franchise. Since he first arrived, no player has worked harder and been more driven to succeed than Tom. His core values have kept him grounded, despite his many successes, and he remains a consummate professional, both on and off the field. It is much easier to reward a player for his professional accomplishments when you have such respect for him personally and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tom and for everything he has accomplished in his life. There is no one that I would rather have leading this team and I am happy to reward him with this contract extension."

For authoritative coverage and analysis of NFL news, free agency and fantasy football, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.