Jets rookie Wilson promoted to starting lineup

Dan Parr

dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor

Recent posts by Dan Parr

Kuechly wins PFW/PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year

Posted Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:51 a.m.

CB Munnerlyn hoping to stay with Panthers

Posted Jan. 13, 2013 @ 1:38 p.m.

Who is the Falcons' most underappreciated receiver?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 11:06 p.m.

Are White-Jones NFL's best WR tandem?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 12:12 p.m.

Jets sign QB Garrard

Posted March 11, 2013 @ 7:57 p.m.

Bills bring back McKelvin

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 1:45 p.m.

New York Jets: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:25 p.m.

Jets' Idzik, Ryan address Revis rumors

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 5:56 p.m.

LBs Scott, Pace among Jets' cuts

Posted Feb. 19, 2013 @ 2:54 p.m.

Jets announce coaching changes

Posted Feb. 05, 2013 @ 2:44 p.m.

Former QB Paulus has high praise for Bills' Marrone

Posted Jan. 30, 2013 @ 5:20 p.m.

Bengals sign OLB Maybin

Posted Jan. 25, 2013 @ 1:04 p.m.
Posted Aug. 14, 2010 @ 10:54 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

As Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum and CB Darrelle Revis' representatives continue contract talks, rookie CB Kyle Wilson has been elevated to the first-team defense and will likely start at right corner in Week One barring a breakthrough in Revis' contract negotiations.

Wilson, the Jets' first-round pick this year, was slated to be the nickel back, but he said he's been getting all of his reps with the first-team defense in recent days.

"It's definitely an exciting feeling, but it just makes you work even harder," Wilson told PFW after practice Aug. 14. "Those guys on the first-team defense have been out there for years and totally understand the system. It's all new to me. I want to go out there and make plays, as well. That just challenges me to go out and understand what's going on, making sure I'm in the right position and learning from every rep I get out there."

Wilson, the 29th overall pick, would start opposite CB Antonio Cromartie, who was acquired in a trade with the Chargers this offseason. CB Dwight Lowery, who had been taking reps with the first-team defense, was so impressed with Wilson that he actually went to the coaching staff and said the rookie should replace him on the first unit.

"I got a lot of time before (the season starts), but I feel I've put the work in," Wilson said. "It's time to go out there and cut it loose."

Wilson said he has spoken with Revis recently and would like to see him return, even though that would end his stint as a starter.

"(Revis) is definitely a mentor figure for me," he said. "I look toward him for any advice, being that he was in my shoes a few years ago and he's at the top of his game right now. The big thing for me is I watched him a lot and tried to emulate some of the things (he's done).

"I know what type of player he is and I know what type of guy he is. I definitely hope he comes back."

The Jets and Revis' agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, have agreed to keep contract talks private after publicly bickering for a few days. Jets owner Woody Johnson has said he doesn't expect Revis to play for the Jets in 2010.

For authoritative coverage and analysis of NFL news, free agency and fantasy football, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.