Rams S Butler out with sprained MCL

St. Louis Rams: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:23 p.m.

Old-school Arians feeling young at heart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:51 p.m.

Rams place Titus Young on waivers

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 3:49 p.m.

Rams claim former Lions WR Young

Posted Feb. 05, 2013 @ 4:43 p.m.

Uncertainty over home dome remains for Rams

Posted Feb. 04, 2013 @ 2:20 p.m.

Rams will not hire Rob Ryan

Posted Jan. 29, 2013 @ 12:07 p.m.

Report: Rams hire Rob Ryan

Posted Jan. 24, 2013 @ 7:18 p.m.

Niners' faith in Justin Smith remains strong for now

Posted Jan. 10, 2013 @ 3:31 p.m.
Posted Aug. 07, 2010 @ 12:35 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The injury gods continue to inflict more pain than pleasure on the Rams, one of the league’s more injury-plagued teams last season. Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo said after the team's Saturday-morning practice session that starting SS James Butler could be out for a prolonged period with a knee injury. Newly acquired safety Kevin Payne is also currently limited by a quad injury.

“He does have a knee sprain; it’s on the inside,” Spagnuolo said of Butler, who led the Rams with three interceptions in 2009 despite missing three games with a knee injury. “It’s a MCL, similar to … well, I’m not going to do that. I mean, it’s one that’s going to keep him out a little while.

“I don’t want to classify it as significant. I don’t know all the terms, but he … I don’t know that we’ll get him back again … I’m not going to say that. He’s going to be out for a while. We’ll take it day-to-day, but I think it will be an extended injury.”

Spagnuolo was also asked for a progress report on featured RB Steven Jackson, who is coming off surgery to repair a herniated disc in April and was expected to be sidelined for the team’s Saturday-evening scrimmage.

“He seems to be fine,” Spagnuolo said of Jackson. He said … that it feels exactly where it should be. He’s no worse, no better. He does want to push it a little bit next week, and we’ll do that.

“I think he’s right about on track where we thought, and then knock on wood we can stay that way. We’ll see what we’ll do when we get to that first game, have to make that decision.”

For authoritative coverage and analysis of NFL news, free agency and fantasy football, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.