The Bills issued a statement Wednesday announcing that they have released DE-OLB Aaron Schobel.
“As everyone knows by now, on Monday we had informed Aaron’s agent that he was not in our plans for the 2010 season, and we made a formal announcement right after that so our fans knew," said GM Buddy Nix. "Aaron remained on the 'Did Not Report to Camp' list so no transaction had taken place at that time. We continued to evaluate the situation and feel the best way to proceed is to release Aaron, and that’s what we have done.”
Schobel, 32, was a second-round draft pick of the Bills in 2001 and spent his entire career in Buffalo. During his nine pro seasons, the TCU product played in 133 games, starting 128, and accumulated 78 sacks, 19 forced fumbles and three interceptions, making the Pro Bowl on two occasions. He had been contemplating retirement since the end of the '09 season and did not report to training camp as he continued to ponder his future.
“If he chooses to retire, he will do so as a Buffalo Bill," added Nix. "But this move allows him the opportunity to play somewhere else if (he) so chooses, and we felt that was a fair thing to do for a guy who has played hard for us the past nine seasons. I enjoyed a good conversation with Aaron after we turned the transaction into the league, and he still has not decided what he wants to do. Our fans should know that this decision was made in the best interests of the Buffalo Bills and Aaron Schobel, and like I said on Monday, we wish Aaron the best of luck in whatever he ultimately decides.”
A Texas resident, Schobel has reportedly expressed a desire to play for the Texans. It's likely he would want to continue playing defensive end as opposed to outside linebacker, the position the Bills were set to move him to as they transitioned to a 3-4 defense. He's expected to make a decision on his plans by the middle of August.
For authoritative coverage and analysis of NFL news, free agency and fantasy football, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.